Hypothetical - God Reveals Himself

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I'm not sure how similar this thread is to Bananas', about a person who does the exact same things that Jesus did back in his day. If this thread is too similar to Bananas' then I appologize (I personally only skimmed through it).

This thread, I hope, will be focusing on the hypothetical idea of God revealing himself to mankind in different ways, and whether or not you will acknowledge/realize that this indeed is God.

In the tanach (I cannot vouche for what is written in the NT) we say many times that God spoke to prophets via a dream-like state, Moses being the only one who could be awake to converse with him.
If God were to reveal himself in your dreams, giving you an explicit vision concerning the existance of God, leaving you in no doubt in the dream that that was God. In your waking state would you toss this dream as just another dream or would it have some kind of impact on you?

If God were to perform miracles, by your own request in front of your very eyes, would the skeptics among you, toss them aside and declare that there must be an explaination for whatever he did, and assume it is just another optical illusion/trick/etc?
If the answer to such a question is yes, that you will be skeptical and you will not be able to accept the revealance of God in any way, then the only conclusion I can come to is - that is the reason God doesn't reveal himself to mankind this day and age. There will be too many skeptics even when he does reveal himself. So I cannot fathom why those who are skeptic, keep saying they want proof. The way I see it, even if they had proof infront of their very own eyes they still will not believe!

Spooky

Registered Member
Science cannot disprove God.
That's not what I said, though it does if everything in the bible has to be either true or false.

But in answer to your question, I'm sure there'd always be people who believe what they choose to regardless of facts :tired:

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
That's not what I said, though it does if everything in the bible has to be either true or false.
That depends what religion one practices. So the "worst" that science can do is disprove a religion, not God.

But in answer to your question, I'm sure there'd always be people who believe what they choose to regardless of facts :tired:
True. But there is no fact to whether or not God exists. Only speculation.
In the scenario I offered, I was talking of God (a being that is regarded as an omniscient being). I suppse my mind baffles at the idea that there might still be people who might still not believe in this God after all the things he will do via request.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I've said many times, in many of these threads, that it would be an easy enough matter for God to convince me of his existence, if he were to exist. I've even given the example of saying I would believe in God if angels made regular public appearances. That God doesn't do anything to indicate his existence to me, leads me to the conclusion there is no God to do so, or else he/she/it doesn't want me to know of its existence. If God doesn't exist, then I know as much since I have a justified belief in as much, and if God does exist, then I am wrong; but am not going against the actual wishes of a God who has chosen not to reveal itself.

Spooky

Registered Member
That depends what religion one practices. So the "worst" that science can do is disprove a religion, not God.

True. But there is no fact to whether or not God exists. Only speculation.
In the scenario I offered, I was talking of God (a being that is regarded as an omniscient being). I suppse my mind baffles at the idea that there might still be people who might still not believe in this God after all the things he will do via request.
Alright, science can disprove a religion. Yet people still follow a religion and believe it after it being disproved.. Which would suggest people would not believe in god even after it was proven without a shadow of doubt he/she/it/they existed.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Alright, science can disprove a religion. Yet people still follow a religion and believe it after it being disproved..
I personally haven't seen scientific proof that religion cannot be true, though.
Even by definition it is not possible, since the main part of religion is faith. And by definition faith cannot be disproved.

Which would suggest people would not believe in god even after it was proven without a shadow of doubt he/she/it/they existed.
If proof was provided that God doesn't exist - then speaking for myself, I think I would accept it. But so far such proof has yet to be presented.

But I think we are side tracking here. Since anyone responding to this thread can say "but such proof has yet to be presented" the whole point of this thread is to discuss things hypothetically.

Spooky

Registered Member
I personally haven't seen scientific proof that religion cannot be true, though.
Even by definition it is not possible, since the main part of religion is faith. And by definition faith cannot be disproved.

If proof was provided that God doesn't exist - then speaking for myself, I think I would accept it. But so far such proof has yet to be presented.

But I think we are side tracking here. Since anyone responding to this thread can say "but such proof has yet to be presented" the whole point of this thread is to discuss things hypothetically.
Well my answer was that I'm sure many, many people will still disbelieve simply because people are like that, they will have faith even when what they believe is completely false to everyone else around them :lick:

I've said many times, in many of these threads, that it would be an easy enough matter for God to convince me of his existence, if he were to exist. I've even given the example of saying I would believe in God if angels made regular public appearances. That God doesn't do anything to indicate his existence to me, leads me to the conclusion there is no God to do so, or else he/she/it doesn't want me to know of its existence. If God doesn't exist, then I know as much since I have a justified belief in as much, and if God does exist, then I am wrong; but am not going against the actual wishes of a God who has chosen not to reveal itself.
EI, you keep saying that God could prove to you that He exists if he wanted to, but that's not how He works. If you don't open your heart to God and come to Him on his terms, then how does he even know you'd like to know Him? It's kind of like throwing a party but not sending out invitations. How can anyone show up if they didn't know they were invited?