Hypotetical Question...

What did you do?


  • Total voters
    11

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
#1
More fun with spoilers and scenarios (except this one is serious, I promise).

Like I'd said before, I enjoyed the envelope questions --> Reminds me of those choose-your-own-adventure book of olde.

So here's a serious question:



You're walking down an empty street in the middle of the night, in a poorer part of town. Obviously it's not a great idea, but for whatever reason it can't be avoided.

You hear a ruckus in a nearby alley, and you walk up with your hands in your pockets.

You see a rather large man wrestling with a young lady. She screams for your help, but you then notice that the rather large man comes equipped with a rather large knife.

He points it towards you, and says, "You'd best just walk away..."


You can either:

1) Attempt to chase off the bad guy (3 outcomes)
2) Flee, and call the police afterwards on your cellphone (2 outcomes)
3) Flee, and do nothing (1 outcome)


First, you must pick one of the three actions, and then you must pick only one outcome.

VOTE IN THE POLL BEFORE READING YOUR OUTCOME. (You can read the others once you're done, of course)


REMEMBER --> There is risk involved. I won't tell you the possible outcomes, as you wouldn't know them going into the situation, but your decision can and does involve serious personal risk to yourself.


Oh, and if you cheat, don't bother voting, because it takes all of the fun out of it.

==================================================

ACTION #1:
Attempt to chase off the bad guy

OUTCOME #1:
You begin to shout and scream at the top of your lungs. The bad guy makes a move towards you, but you're too fast and you get out into the open before he reaches you. You continue to scream, and as luck would have it, a police cruiser drives by. The bad guy takes off. Acting fast, the officers leap out and manage to catch him a couple blocks later.

Congratulations! You took a huge personal risk, and justice was served, without any bodily harm to either you or the young lady! You're a hero!

OUTCOME #2:
You begin to shout and scream at the top of your lungs. The bad guy makes a move towards you, but you start moving towards the open. You make it to the street, but there is no one there to help. You begin to run down the sidewalk, but the bad guy is too fast. He catches up to you and throws you to the ground.

I'll spare the gory details, but he wounds you with his weapon.

Thankfully, something spooks him. You never get to find out what it is, as you pass out shortly afterwards. You wake up the next day in a hospital. Although you're a beaten up, no permanent damage has been done. The young lady has been saved of any bodily harm. You are a hero.

OUTCOME #3:
You begin to shout and scream at the top of your lungs. The bad guy makes a move towards you, but you start moving towards the open. You make it to the street, but there is no one there to help. You begin to run down the sidewalk, but the bad guy is too fast. He catches up to you and throws you to the ground.

I'll spare the gory details, but your chivalry is not duly rewarded.

Your attempt was noble, but you do not wake up from this tragedy.

==================================================

ACTION #2
Flee, and call the police afterwards on your cellphone

OUTCOME #1
You do as the bad guy says; you throw up your hands, and walk away. You hear the brutal sounds of mortal struggle behind you as you go.

As soon as you're out of his sight, you whip out your phone and call the police. You're told to remain where you are --> They will find you when necessary.

The wait is endless, but they eventually show up. They tell you that you did the right thing --> Unfortunately, there was no trace of anything. You go home and continue life as usual.

A week later you find a news article with a picture of the woman you saw in the alley --> Her body was found in a nearby lake.

OUTCOME #2
You do as the bad guy says; you throw up your hands, and walk away. You hear the brutal sounds of mortal struggle behind you as you go.

As soon as you're out of his sight, you whip out your phone and call the police. You're told to remain where you are --> They will find you when necessary.

The wait is endless, but they eventually show up. They tell you that you did the right thing --> As it would turn out, the criminal is rather stupid, and didn't seem to realize that the police would turn up.

Although he was unfortunately mostly finished with the terrorized young woman, she is alive and he is in the hands of the justice system.

Not all that bad an outcome at all.

==================================================

ACTION #3
Flee, and do nothing

OUTCOME
Perhaps you've misunderstood? You do nothing to help the woman...
Well, aren't you a terrible person! Obviously she's raped and killed. End of story.

==================================================
 
Last edited:
#4
reasonable enough. It's hard to account for everybody voting everything, and you did so to the best of your ability. A good list of options all things considered
 
#6
I like hypothetical question threads :cute:

I chose "ASSIST - Outcome 1"
Ooopsy.
 

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
#7
I went with Act - Outcome 2. Being an American, a mugger or other criminal with a knife makes me go "Really? Really? A knife?" so I would try to at least disarm the guy. As for 2, well I like the number 2.
 
#8
I choose...:

1 and 1
I would probably do this, though:
Flee, search for a weapon ASAP, go back and surprise sucker attack the guy in the back of the head with the weapon.
A weak move, but that's how I roll. :stir:

For this thread, though, I'm glad I made the right choice. I would feel horrible...
Fleeing and not helping her. >:'(

And LOL at "Flee, and do nothing." Funny option.
 

fragile

Registered Member
#9
I chose Assist - Outcome 2.
One of my biggest fears is being stabbed by a knife, so that's probably what I'd do. Flee.
 

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
#10
I chose Act, Outcome 2.

What I like to think I would have done is go out of his sight first, then call the police, then go back to do whatever I could.