Hypnic Jerk

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Continuing my trends of talking about weird things many of us have but didn't know was a condition, does anyone have a noticeable hypnic jerk?

It's basically where right before you fall asleep, you have an involuntary jerk- larger than a traditional muscle twitch. It's an epileptic movement that occurs in many people, even those that don't have epilepsy. I probably have these at least a few times a month.

I didn't know this was a condition until about six minutes ago.

Exclusive

Registered Member
Yes, it happens to me like once a month. We talked about it in class and my teacher said it was a "sensation" and is good luck. I was like "Lol Weed"

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I have experienced this a few times but not regularly. I didn't think it was anything so important as to have a name.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I have experienced this a few times but not regularly. I didn't think it was anything so important as to have a name.
Well, it is one of few large involuntary motions that can happen to people who aren't prone to seizures. Granted how riled up hypnic jerks make me, I can't imagine how bad it would be to have pathological epilepsy.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
True. I just tried to imagined it happening on a bigger scale. Scary. My sister in law has epileptic episodes for a couple of years now. She doesn't drive anymore just in case it happens while she does.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
that happened to me last night, probably right around the time you were posting this. ovcoarse.

I knew it was real! This hypnic jerk thing caused me to knock my co-worker flat out but the judge gave it some other weird technical name -- assault. I guess they don't all use the same medical dictionary.

I get this movement about once a month, on a huge scale. I feel like someone just put a tarantula on my face. It's scary stuff. Shakes me up for a little while. I most certainly don't envy those with epilepsy. It's only fun in small doses.

Thanks for the tidbit of info! Nice to put a name to the face. Hypnic jerk.. sounds about right.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Not very often but yes it has happened a few times with me. I never really thought anything of it until I read this thread.