• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hybrid icing

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
The NHL is testing hybrid icing during Pre-season, and the only thing it needs to be inserted during the regular season is full approval by the NHLPA. Do you think it will be accepted and are you in favour for it?

Willey101

I like it.

It saves about 1 to 1.5 seconds on an icing, is preventing injuries but still does not take away from the the excitement of skating hard to avoid an icing.

It's a rule change I really like even though I was a little partial when it was being discussed.

Rehmo

Does anyone know the actual rule behind it though? I was at the Leaf game last night and was kinda confused by it. It seems like if its clearly icing and no one is around then its no touch and blown dead immediatly but if there is a chance or a foot race behind 2 players then it looks like its played out. Now I'm not sure on everything cause it was pre-season for the refs and lineys too so things may have just been delayed or missed but if this is the case then injuries wont be completely eliminated.

Willey101

Rehmo said:
Does anyone know the actual rule behind it though? I was at the Leaf game last night and was kinda confused by it. It seems like if its clearly icing and no one is around then its no touch and blown dead immediatly but if there is a chance or a foot race behind 2 players then it looks like its played out. Now I'm not sure on everything cause it was pre-season for the refs and lineys too so things may have just been delayed or missed but if this is the case then injuries wont be completely eliminated.
Has to do with the faceoff circle. If it's a clear icing by the time the puck reaches the faceoff circle then the puck is blown dead. If the D man is ahead of the forward then it is blown dead. If the forward is in the lead then it is not blown.

At least that's what I believe.

Rehmo

Alright so like i thought then there is still potential for major injuires. If that is the case then its more of a killing the clock defense for late in periods or games.

Willey101

Rehmo said:
Alright so like i thought then there is still potential for major injuires. If that is the case then its more of a killing the clock defense for late in periods or games.
Not really. If the defender is in front of forward then it's blown at faceoff dot. Only chance of an injury is if the forward flies in and Dman levels him, but that doesn't happen often.

Rehmo

but that their is a potential for a footrace, a good/smart dump where a D and F are neck and neck could cause some injury... I'm not saying itll happen every icing anymore but the potential is there, unlike a strict-no touch icing. I've played both styles and it happens, the problem with the no-touch icing is that dmen do the "Fake-Skate" when trying to get back for the puck... I've done it many-a-time