• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hybrid Cars

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never thought I'd consider a hybrid, but ever since gas prices have broken the rule of "what goes up must come down..." :D

Hybrids are starting to sound pretty good. Does anybody here drive or know somebody who drives one?

I'm years away from getting a new car (gas isn't THAT bad yet) so I'm just interested in how they are working out for people.

:)

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I drive a 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT, and let me tell you, I feel the gas prices.

I've driven a hybrid but never owned one. I'm really unsure of their reliability; mostly due to the fact that I don't trust their reliability. Do they come in stick?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.

leopard22

Registered Member
Where I live, there are absolutely tons of Smart cars on the roads. They're those tiny little cars that run on diesel (the only part about them that I'm not particularly fond of), are very fuel-efficient and are surprisingly roomy inside. Anyway, they are very popular, so much so that there is a debate about whether or not 2 of them should be allowed to park in the same parking space, since if you park them sideways, 2 will fit in one space.

Here's a link to a website with info on them. Given the American love of the big automobile, I don't know if this little baby will become popular in the U.S. but for this part of Canada, it's great for bombing around town and getting stuff done (loads of room in the trunk too).

Albey

Registered Member
I don't think they'd come in stick, considering they want it to be efficiant and easy to drive? I do know they don't go very fast top speed of like 60. 65..

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
If gas is your focus for looking at a hybrid, stick it out a few months. All indications are in that a price collapse is coming in gas prices very soon. The gas/oil market is extremely volitile and momentum rules the day on prices. Consider this: You own a gas station where you can put up to 200K gal in reserve or you can pay as you go. If wholesale gas is rising, you want to stockpiles as much as possible, becuase every day the gas is getting more $$. This feeds demand as it forces your competitor to do the same. The extra demand cuts the supply and prices rise faster.
But, let gas fall and you want to pay as you go. Why stockpile today at $$$ when you can buy it tomorrow at $$? At the beginning of this month, the feds anounced reserves were at an all time high. Translation, there is no more rorom to stockpile-which eases demand-which over feeds supply. Not to mention the fact that so many people are changing their driving habits. And that OPEC is running 100% production becuase they are still trying to meet the demand, which is no longer on the market. There is a perfect storm on the market now for much lower prices.
Long story shorten to this: (As long as Iran does not disrupt supply) You will be paying close to $1/gallon within 6 months! And as far as Iran, I think we will overthrow the little dictator from the inside within a year, but that's a different story.

Last edited:

Albey

Registered Member
Nice little chitchat there. It makes sence, and well $1/gal i'm not sure maybe closer to $1.60+/gal. And how the reserves are overstock, that'll only be for a while imo.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
I not driving yet, but when I decide to purchase a car, it will be a hybrid, or if they have them by that time, an electric car. Its not the fact that gas prices are up that is infulencing my decision, so much as the concequences result from there being so much pollution emmited from vehicles. Im an environmental nut, so its either a hybrid, an electric car, or a bicycle for me :D
My cousins make fun of me for this, but hey. Its the way I am :cool:

Gwiz

Registered Member
It will definitely save you a lot of money on gas pump long term but I just don't think it's very reliabale. In the future, it will only get better. I believe it's base on an electrical system and I think it's only good short term because after 5 years, it will break down and you have to replace your whole vehicle.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
As history has shown us things, such as hybrid and electric cars should improve and get better especially as the need is increasing...or at least I hope so