Hussein to be hung within two days

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Time Lord, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Time Lord

Time Lord Guest

Meanwhile, NBC News reported Saddam, the former Iraqi dictator, could be executed within the next 48 hours. The news came hours after his chief lawyer implored world leaders to prevent the United States from handing over the ousted leader to Iraqi authorities for execution, saying the former dictator should enjoy protection from his enemies as a “prisoner of war.â€

Iraq’s highest court on Tuesday rejected Saddam’s appeal against his conviction and death sentence for the killing of 148 Shiites in the northern city of Dujail in 1982. The court said the former president should be hanged within 30 days.

Now the question is- could this lead to more violence? Saddam was certainly not a beloved dictator. But to many Iraquis, his trial was more of a show put on by judges doing the will of the US, and that irks them.

The mayhem continues, as today 28 Iraquis, 3 American soldiers and a Marine were killed in violent attacks in Iraq. But Bush says that his Iraq policy is now taking shape. After 3 years and thousands of American and Iraqui deaths his policy is now taking shape?

President Bush said his meeting Thursday with national security advisers put him a step closer to making changes to U.S. strategy in Iraq, but that he will seek more advice before announcing a plan in January.

“We’ve got more consultation to do until I talk to the country about the plan,†Bush said, appearing before reporters outside an office building near his Texas ranch.

How about saying, "I'm a moron who wouldn't know a GOOD plan if it bit me on my ass, but people much smarter than I say that we're going to divide Iraq into 3, split the oil reserves, and pull our brave men and women out of that civil war in Iraq"?

THAT would be a plan. If he does the opposite and sends more troops, he will effectively lose whatever capital he might have left. He might as well get used to being a lame duck, because he's not going to accomplish anything more. His tarnished legacy will be the Iraq War.

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16384738/?GT1=8816

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16379320/

2. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

There will undoubtedly be a period of increased violence by the Saddam loyalists in Iraq. As the trial drew nearer and nearer to his verdict and sentence, violence began to fade. As expected then, it was just the calm before the storm. Within moments of the announcement to the Iraqi public, his loyalists retaliated against coalition forces and innocent Iraqis, filling the desert air with bullets and the desert floor with blood. The same is to be expected upon execution, only to a much greater degree.

Bush should be pleased nonetheless, as should we all, if we find the Saddam loyalists becoming demotivated and unwilling to fight for a lost cause.

3. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I hope you're right and that his loyalists won't now hold him up as a martyr, which in truth, I suspect they will.

Hoosier.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Guest

That's what worries me. Is that Saddam will become a martyr to some people. We've already got Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds fighting amongst themselves- last thing we need is to add the loyalists to the mix.

5. Blur

Blur iPimp

6. Sephiroth_Masamune

Sephiroth_Masamune l 7SIN Sasori l

Is CNN or whoever going to best a decent copy of the hanging at all? Or are we going to be stuck with this crappy version that is sketchy at best and doesn't really show him hanging?

7. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Do you really want to see it that badly?

8. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I think a lot of people would like to see the entire hanging to make sure for themselves that is wasn't a hoax.

Hoosier.

9. Sephiroth_Masamune

Sephiroth_Masamune l 7SIN Sasori l

Yeah, actually, the best shot I got was when I paused the Youtube picture during one of the pictures taken after death. His neck is clearly snapped.

To answer though, Yes, I want to watch him fall into the death that everyone hoped for. I want to be able to see his neck snap and that faithful look on his face when it all happens...

I'm truly ***** up, but death is a special thing, and when it's caught on tape so freely and easily as it was here, it's best to be appreciated to the fullest.