• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hurricane Katrina

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Well, looks like we're gonna be hit... and HARD! Kids are gettin bathed and then we will be scrubbing the tub out for flushing water. Hurricane boxes are packed and we are ready for this bad b;tch!

Cmon Katrina... we can take ya!

TGirl

Registered Member
Although you joke I am very scared for you.......I suppose we will not hear from you for awhile and that will KILL ME!!! Well unless it blows by fast and does not hurt the phone lines ......Which I hope it does.....

I will be praying for you (hubby and kids too) and your home!!
Please let us know when you can how you are all doing!!!

~Trina~

Nanner

Registered Member
Yes please! Report in as soon as you can! I had forgotten you were in that area and was trying to think if I knew anyone there. Hubbys Aunt/Uncle use to live in NO but luckily they are now in Boloxi (sp)?

Very scary! Glad I got to see NO a few times because after this (and I hope I am very wrong)! don't think it will be the same :(

Please stay safe and remember we're thinking of you!

Associated Press:

"A monstrous Hurricane Katrina barreled toward New Orleans on Sunday with 160-mph wind and a threat of a 28-foot storm surge, forcing a mandatory evacuation of the below-sea-level city and prayers for those who remained to face a doomsday scenario.

Forecasters warned that Mississippi and Alabama were also in danger because Katrina was such a big storm - with hurricane-force winds extending up to 105 miles from the center. In addition to the winds, the storm packed the potential for a surge of 18 to 28 feet, 30-foot waves and as much as 15 inches of rain.

"It's capable of causing catastrophic damage,'' Mayfield said. "Even well-built structures will have tremendous damage. Of course, what we're really worried about is the loss of lives.''

By evening, the first squalls, driving rains and lightning began hitting New Orleans. A grim Mayor C. Ray Nagin earlier ordered the mandatory evacuation for his city of 485,000 people, conceding Katrina's storm surge pushing up the Mississippi River would swamp the city's system of levees, flooding the bowl-shaped city and causing potentially months of misery.

"We are facing a storm that most of us have long feared,'' he said. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime event.''

Conceding that as many as 100,000 inner-city residents didn't have the means to leave and an untold number of tourists were stranded by the closing of the airport, the city arranged buses to take people to 10 last-resort shelters, including the Superdome.

Nagin also dispatched police and firefighters to rouse people out with sirens and bullhorns, and even gave them the authority to commandeer vehicles to aid in the evacuation.

For years, forecasters have warned of the nightmare flooding a big storm could bring to New Orleans, a bowl-shaped city bounded by the half-mile-wide Mississippi River and massive Lake Pontchartrain. As much as 10 feet below sea level in spots, the city is as the mercy of a network of levees, canals and pumps to keep dry.

Scientists predicted Katrina could easily overtake that levee system, swamping the city under a 30-feet cesspool of toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins that could leave more than 1 million people homeless.

"All indications are that this is absolutely worst-case scenario,'' Ivor van Heerden, deputy director of the Louisiana State University Hurricane Center, said Sunday afternoon.

Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard said some who have ridden out previous storms in the New Orleans area may not be so lucky this time.

"I'm expecting that some people who are die-hards will die hard,'' he said"

Anyone else in the area? Jen hopefully you will be ok also with just rain once it hits land.

TGirl

Registered Member
Ugggggggggg I don't even live around there and I am so scared for the people...and also their homes.....I feel so helpless.............

If anyone in this area does need clothing or anything after this is all over please let me know.....I will do what I can for you!!!

~Trina~

trees

Registered Member
I am wishing you and yours along with everyone else the best! I will pray that you all make it through with no harm, and no damage! Maybe it will blow it self away! :)

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Oh Iggy, I wish I had been on yesterday to send you my own good thoughts! I'm thinking of you and praying for you as well.....please let us know how your doing just as soon as you can. I'm watching the reports right now, and can't imagine how scary it must be for everyone experiencing it.

yooperchick

Registered Member
Iggy - you are in our thoughts are are the others still in the area. Please update us when you can.

If anyone would like to give a monetary contribution, you can always give to your local chapter of the American Red Cross. On your check, in the memo line, indicate that you would like your donation to go to Hurrican Katrina Relief. The local chapter will then forward the money to the National Chapter to be used for the areas affected.

If anyone finds out how to send clothes, etc., please post here. I have some things I was going to sell for cash, but I think others could use them more now.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Let's add Jenn (msbabedoll) to our thoughts as well, she is in Mississippi, I'm not sure what area, but I pray she's safe!!

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
Yes I pray that you all stay safe. Hope to hear from Jen and Iggy real soon