• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hurricane Isabel.

Rabs

Registered Member
This big storm is causing havic at my home and here at my college. I know a lot of you don't live near the east coast like me, so you have probably never experienced a hurricane or don't know much about them. I have been through some in my life, and they are crazy. Insane winds, powerful storms, and constant heavy rain. It's quite dangerous. Trees fall down right and left and damage is done all over. Right now, Isabel is about 2 hours southeast of me. But later tonight it's gonna be really bad where I am. My whole campus is closed and they have already cancelled class until Monday. The bad thing is that we are in lockdown meaning we can't leave the dorm which sucks. Also, if the power goes out later which it probably will, there will be nothing to do practically. Be glad you don't have to deal with these things, they can be devastating.

Check out this pic of Hurricane Isabel.

starfx6464

Awesome
Man, that sucks. While I've never lived on the east coast nor had to deal with hurricanes, I did live in the midwest and saw firsthand the destruction caused by tornados. So I do have an idea of what you're going through. It's not fun. I just hope everything works out alright for you, man.

On a side note (and I don't mean to make light of the situation), that picture of the hurricane is pretty cool.... yet eerily daunting...

Pianobone

Registered Member
I was going to same the same thing, Starfx. Hurricanes are pretty destructive, but I think that tornadoes are far worse. The main difference is that tornadoes tend to be concentrated though, while hurricanes are broader, often covering miles at a time.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
well if we have any members in that area... good luck.. at this time its completely over land and still has hurricane force (80+ mph winds) A news site had a list off all webcams in the area... but most have either gone dead or the site has exceeded its bandwidth.. only ones I know of that are still up at this point and updated are ones at East Carolina University, no streaming option though

http://pinpoint.ecu.edu/cameras/cameras.cfm

I was keeping a eye on the lighthouse, but those camera went dead a few hours ago

Stargun007

Registered Member
Supposedly Isabel was supposed to hit me fairly hard, but all I'm getting up north here is slight winds (about 20 mph) and rain tonight/tomorrow morning. Everyone was making a big deal about it here, but in the end we get nothing.

The most annoying thing is that my friend in central Jersey has a late start at school tomorrow, but I don't. :(

Pianobone

Registered Member
LOL! Stupid hurricane. :lol:

Stargun007

Registered Member
We actually got hit a little harder than I thought. The wind was strong enough to knock down a few trees and even a power line. Which means that I had a power outage in the middle of the night. Meaning my alarm clock turned off. Good think I naturally woke up earlier today.

Pianobone

Registered Member
It knocked down a few trees and powerlines? Are you in the midst of the hurricane, or just on the edges? I mean, I would expect a little more than that from a full fledge hurricane.

We've had tornadoes in the Midwest that literally rip entire houses off the ground and throw them hundreds of feet in the air. Some even land 10 miles away. It's crazy.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
theres some awsome footage of it going through Virginia and north carolina... one camera even caught the wind sucking the water out of a swimming pool... Ill post them when I get the chance

Stargun007

Registered Member
It knocked down a few trees and powerlines? Are you in the midst of the hurricane, or just on the edges? I mean, I would expect a little more than that from a full fledge hurricane.
I think it's pretty obvious that we were on the edge. Hell, I bet we're even farther than that. I bet the hurricane just affected other climates, and thats why I got the wind and rain.