Hurling

wooly

I am the woolrus
Just wondering, how many people here have ever heard of or seen a game of hurling? I think Gaelic Football would be the more commonly known out of the GAA sports, but hurling is definitely the more impressive.

It's earned the tagline "fastest game on grass" and i'd definitely believe it. While i don't follow the sport religiously, it's always fun to watch and people who have never seen it before are generally very impressed with the high levels of skill, speed, physicallity and elegance to the game. Also they're usually very surprised that none of the players or managers are paid in hurling (or gaelic football), it's purely about pride and passion! A quality not often found in the world of sports anymore.

Here's a video showing some rules and techniques:

YouTube - Hurling - The Fastest Game on Grass (remix)

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Thats pretty insane. I cant say I'd ever heard of it before. Looks fun to be honest! Those guys have got to be extremely athletic though!

wooly

I am the woolrus
They generally are extremely athletic, especially considering all the players would only have after work and weekends to train!

The GAA are really trying to get it to take off in America at the moment:

The GAA have also begun to invest in American college students with university teams springing up in Stanford, Berkeley, Purdue, Marquette and other schools. On 31 January 2009, the first ever US collegiate hurling match was held between Stanford and UC Berkeley, organized by the newly-formed California Collegiate Gaelic Athletic Association.
I'd say it won't be soon before they'll be doing it better than the irish :p

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It would be neat to see it take off, but hell there are already so many great sports that I can think of that arent even really that available in the States as widespread as other places.

Like LaCrosse for instance, I always admired that sport... but yet there are literally no LaCrosse teams or leagues in my area. I dunno if its just a California thing or what, but yeah absolutely no LaCrosse.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I have seen this game played before and I totaly agree with it being a damn fast game.
I never knew that they didnt get paid for playing though.
I cant think of many sports where they would compete at that kind level for nothing.

Also watching that vid made me think, there must be some nasty accidents in a game that fast, with so many guys running around with big axe shaped sticks swinging as fast they can at a little ball, there has to be some cracked bines every now and then.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Yeah there can be some nasty injuries, seeing someone walking around with a bloodied face can be a bit too common in the sport. The only protection used are the helmets, and half the players prefer not to wear them. I think it's next year though they're making them compulsory. At the moment only players 18 and younger are forced to wear them.

wolfheart

Registered Member
And people say boxing is dangerous!.
It is a fun game to watch though, seeing those guy's running full pelt while balancing that little ball is something that has to be seen to be believed, I would imagine running in a straight line doing that is hard enough, with guy's charging after you.

Have you evr given it a go yourself wooly?.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I've tried it, and failed miserably! :p Very hard to play. You have to learn how to use the hurley properly before you can even attempt to play a match against someone!

Kerry is traditionally a footballing county anyway and they don't even bother to teach hurling in schools down here. Prefer to stick to what they're good at.