• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hungry all the time.

Impact

V.I.P.
I recently quit smoking (December 1st) and ever since I am hungry all the time. I know smoking suppressed appetite, but I didn't realise it was this much. It's not just having to have something to do with my hands either, because I'm keeping them occupied by playing video games, or drawing, but this hunger thing is getting annoying and i'm starting to gain weight because of it. After I eat, i'll be hungry again half an hour afterwards. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just have to wait it out and hope it goes away?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Maybe you should try chewing gum.

I can't eat or smoke when chewing gum... maybe that'll sort it. Not sure though.

Impact

V.I.P.
Forgot to mention that I already tried chewing gum as it had worked previously when I quit smoking, but it doesn't seem to have any effect this time round.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
How about brushing your teeth loads?
I generally can't stand food where the flavour is marred by an overly minty taste. Maybe if you've got a strong taste of mint in your gob you'll refrain from getting food.

Or maybe go for a walk or something a few times a day so you aren't in the vicinity of food to eat. If you ain't got it, you can't eat it.

Not sure if these suggestions are any good. But you never know.

Actually, I'm going to leave a stupid suggestion to make those ones sound decent.
Stupid Suggestion:
Perhaps you could chain up the fridge and cupboards and fit bombs to them that go off if you open your food storage places at the wrong time. That's better.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
How many meals do you usually eat per day? If you're eating 2-3 bigger meals, I'd suggest eating 5-6 smaller meals and spreading them out. Also maybe it helps to drink lots of water.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Not sure....it's a pretty hard thing.

If you have the will power to quit smoking than you probably can outsmart your hunger pains. For instance, there is something triggering those signals that doesn't apply to physiological need. So for now you have to convince yourself that your body isn't in need of nutrients.

Next, your goal will be to burn calories and take in calories to balance out your metabolism. You might try a few things on your own, or consult a fitness person. What worked for me is reducing sugars, regular activity, and increased proteins.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
What are you eating, and how much? Hoes is right that 5-6 small meals a day are ideal for the body, but getting hungry every 30 minutes isn't normal. How much water do you drink? Drinking water will also help with the hunger.

Impact

V.I.P.
How many meals do you usually eat per day? If you're eating 2-3 bigger meals, I'd suggest eating 5-6 smaller meals and spreading them out. Also maybe it helps to drink lots of water.
Usually I eat about 5 times a day. My main meals, and then a snack in between each. I don't drink water but I am drinking juice constantly through the day. I guess I could just drink water and get over the blandness if it will help though.

What are you eating, and how much? Hoes is right that 5-6 small meals a day are ideal for the body, but getting hungry every 30 minutes isn't normal. How much water do you drink? Drinking water will also help with the hunger.
I like to think what I eat is healthy enough. I'll generally have a bowl of cereal or eggs for breakfast, a sammich of some sort as a snack, soup or leftovers for lunch, another sammich as a snack and then whatever is for dinner. Maybe another bowl of cereal later on. Lately though, i'm eating anything I can get my hands on so chips, chocolate, fruit, hot chips, extra sammiches.
------
Not sure....it's a pretty hard thing.

If you have the will power to quit smoking than you probably can outsmart your hunger pains. For instance, there is something triggering those signals that doesn't apply to physiological need. So for now you have to convince yourself that your body isn't in need of nutrients.

Next, your goal will be to burn calories and take in calories to balance out your metabolism. You might try a few things on your own, or consult a fitness person. What worked for me is reducing sugars, regular activity, and increased proteins.
So perhaps if I got back into regular exercise it may help out? I plan to start back at it this week so hopefully I see a difference.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I would definitely drink more water and less juice. While juice is good, when you drink a lot of it you get a lot more sugar than you are used to intaking.

shelgarr

Registered Member
So perhaps if I got back into regular exercise it may help out? I plan to start back at it this week so hopefully I see a difference.
Yes, I think it does. Exercise does lessen hunger for a time. Something about endorphines, I think. Also exercise inspires good eating, although your diet already sounds pretty good. If you don't like to exercise, I've found that a finding a sport works (tennis for me) and finding a 3-4 miles walking course that you do with as much speed as possible that has at least one hill that you will do every other day with an Ipod is addicting. A good goal is 15 minute miles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Spillaney Bathroom Wall 3
Bliss Food & Beverage 12
idisrsly Health & Fitness 4
Dabs Food & Beverage 13
Nosferatu_Alucard Politics & Law 41