• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hundreds of animals found dead at SA airport

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Several hundred reptiles and amphibians were found dead at Johannesburg airport when a routine inspection uncovered some 1,600 of the creatures crammed into two crates destined for the United States.

Hundreds of reptiles and amphibians found dead at South African airport | The Raw Story
This particular group may of been going to the United States but this is what happens when you want to keep exotic animals as pets. Shipments like these go out to any country where there is a demand for them and many don't make it. This is why I won't have an animal like this as a pet, not that they really are pets, they are prisoners.

Taliesin

Registered Member
That's pretty horrific. We can't treat animals this way. It's just not right.

You wonder if the authorities are fighting a losing battle when it comes to stuff like this. It seems like there will always be demand for exotic pets and that the smugglers will always be there finding ways to meet that demand... and being downright inhumane to these poor creatures in the process.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
As long as there is a demand for them they will find a way. People need to stop keeping these types of animals because if you are you are part of the problem. Many of these animals will not breed in captivity so if you have one it most likely went through this horrific treatment. Really no difference in what Sea World is doing.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I haven't even heard about this before this thread. Shocking story. Poor creatures. What I don't understand, is if the shipment is legal, why do it in such a way that almost hides the shipment? Are they trying to save money on shipment costs by cramming the poor creatures in as small a space as possible?

The people who are buying exotic pets are enabling this cruelty, I agree. However, surely there could still be a way of transporting these creatures safely? This didn't have to happen this way.

This is why I won't have an animal like this as a pet, not that they really are pets, they are prisoners.
Just because I am curious, how are "pets" like these more prisoners than other pets, like cats and dogs?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You don't keep a cat or dog in a small cage. They won't try to escape and never come back if you don't. Many people consider their dogs and cats part of their family and are treated as such.

Probably are trying to save money by cramming them all in together.

Edit: I just wanted to add one more thing. People don't capture dogs and cats in the wild then treat them like this. I use to have a parrot a long time ago. Since then I found out they are captured out of their native surrounding and sent here. I don't think its right to be doing that, I won't have another one and make it spend its life in a cage.

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
You don't keep a cat or dog in a small cage. They won't try to escape and never come back if you don't. Many people consider their dogs and cats part of their family and are treated as such.
You let it run wild outside? You don't keep it in the house or yard? I had a dog that got out of the yard and as he wasn't used to running outside, he got away so far and fast, I never found him again. that was a sad day. But yeah, they can escape, whether it's intentional or not. Many people treat their reptiles the same way some people treat their cats and dogs.

Sorry, not trying to pick on you, I'm just saying, reptiles can be pets, not just prisoners. Not more so that domesticated dogs and cats, who by the way, used to be wild before they got to be domesticated.

Since then I found out they are captured out of their native surrounding and sent here. I don't think its right to be doing that, I won't have another one and make it spend its life in a cage.
Just something to consider, a lot of pet reptiles are captive bred. Make of that what you will. ;)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never kept my dogs or cats caged and they were allowed in the house if they wanted to be in the house, I didn't force them to stay in. I'm sure in some places if they didn't stay inside most of the time they would be in danger.

The thing is I don't see capturing animals in the wild and being kept by individuals in small surroundings any different than what Sea World or other places like that are doing. Many people that get these animals don't take care of them properly after the new has worn off.

I don't feel like your picking on me.