Humming to yourself

Do you talk to yourself?
Do you hum to yourself?
Do you sing to yourself?

I do all three, occasionally. I am not embarrassed by it and nor do I reckon I'm a mental case for doing so. I'm pretty observant, I know for a fact I have seen people in cars with their music on loud, alone, singing like X Factor auditionees. Properly immersed in their time with themselves.

I happened to be going down the motorway, with my Dad, a week or two ago, when I noticed somebody doing just this. A middle aged man, he stopped singing immediately once he realised he'd been noticed. I felt as horrid as he did. I felt a bit rotten for stopping himself enjoy his journey. I continued to look out for other driving singers. There were many.

I can only assume it is a common thing to hum and sing, and even talk to yourself. However, there are a few things I wish to ask and draw from this observation:

1) How come people feel embarrassed about it if caught out. Whenever I've done it, it's always seemed quite childishly fun. So why does the feeling of being a complete nutter arise when you are caught doing it. -- I also mean, being caught by yourself. i.e. you snap from your humming trance, and realise what you've been doing??? honestly, I have felt like I'm an absolute grade A-1-A loon before, even though I know I am not.

2) Is it possible to type out humming? The pronunciation of each little notelet of hummingness, to produce a series of nonsense words that if hummed as shown will produce a tune?

Doo--da---do-do-do-----Doo-da-do---Doo-Do-Dah-Do-Dah-Do-Do--- (Part of the Scooby Doo theme tune, my favourite theme tune to hum btw).

3) What sort of stuff do you sing, or talk to yourself about if you do this?

I'm putting my head on the block here. Everyone might think I'm crackers.

Any thoughts.

Last edited:
Define talking to yourself. Do you mean thinking out loud or actually explaining shit to no-one in particular?
Actually, out of the three I think I do this the least. Hardly ever really. I suppose I meant thinking out loud, perhaps going over your ideas or problems out loud... That sort of thing. If you get me?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Yeah. I just wondered if you meant that, or, say, explaining how the character skills in a video game work to the ether. As in, carrying a conversation with yourself.

Which I am guilty of.

Yeah. I just wondered if you meant that, or, say, explaining how the character skills in a video game work to the ether. As in, carrying a conversation with yourself.

Which I am guilty of.
I don't think I've had a conversation with myself or something inanimate, but I have laid down ideas in my head, aloud...
I have known others to strike up conversations like this though, as boldly as THIS! SOMETIMES!

I have no qualm with it.

Double-R

Registered Member
Do I talk to myself?

Yes, when I am walking myself through something or when I am attempting to backtrack myself through a situation. I don't know why but, I tend to verbalize those sort of things, especially as an IT guy.

Do I hum to myself?

I do. If there's a good song in my head and I'm in a certain mood, I just may hum in a low enough volume to get me through the day.

Do I sing to myself?

The occasions are rare but, yes. I did it on an empty subway train (or so I thought) so, I was kind of projecting. Little did I know, the conductor was listening in and she decides to let me know how "good" a voice I have by embarrassing the crap out of me. Honestly, I think its a matter of opinion...*blush*...but, w/e. lol