Humans were almost extinct

redsoxocd

living on the border
humanity's close shave should send a message to the 6.6 billion people alive today. "We should start to see ourselves as the lucky survivors."
here's the full article:
Dry spell almost killed off race - National - smh.com.au

I found this to be really interesting. Just the thought that humans were almost extinct and that if it werent for some drastic change the world could've been inhabited by only animals.

Rhodie_Anders

Registered Member
That's really amazing. Just 2,000 of us were left living at one point, and now we boomed to several billion people. It was a very long time ago, but in geological time, it was only a fair amount of time ago. I find that quite interesting.

Many species have come very close to extinction before, we were just able to bounce back unlike most others. Wasn't there a point where 99% of all life on Earth was wiped out?

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Many species have come very close to extinction before, we were just able to bounce back unlike most others. Wasn't there a point where 99% of all life on Earth was wiped out?

Extinction is cyclic. 70-99% of the species on the planet have ben wiped out about 5-6 times.

They say right now we are currently in a new extinction phase.

Jakey-D

Registered Member
That's scary!

Do you think man will ever be made extinct again when you consider how quickly our technology is advancing? I'm pretty sure that before global warming or a giant asteroid or some sort of plague becomes threatening enough to wipe us out we will have come up with some way of surviving.

I honestly believe that earth colonies on neighbouring planets are not totally unrealistic.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Colonizing and terraforming Mars is not unrealistic.

Humanity will become extinct at some point in time I think that we will mostly die of a plague or disease.

Mechanically engineered disease.