• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Humanity.

acleland89

Hello there. This is a quick cultural probe for university.

If I define humanity as 'the collective actions of humankind'...what would you say to that.

Basically I want to know what you think about human nature...good or evil...beautiful or destructive? Any answer is welcome. One word answer is fine, or a joke or song or poem. Anything that you think of when thinking of Humanity.

Thanks so much!

Flump

Registered Member
When you mention 'collective actions', what exactly do you mean? Human nature as a thought is a tricky one to discuss! I personally hold the opinion that the masses are selfish beings but not everyone is like that. Maybe it's that way due to living in a capitalist society, who knows.
As for Beauty vs. Destruction - I think beauty. But Beauty as a concept can be all relative. Some could say being financially stable is beautiful, yet knocking down a rain forest to do so is not. So I guess I have to ask, beautiful and destructive towards what?

acleland89

Hey thanks for replying so quickly. That's the exact kind of answer I was hoping for! By collective actions I mean like advancements made by humans. These can be good and bad, for example, landing on the moon, medicine, electricity, inventing of weapons, lies and deceit (i kind of have a thing against the media).

My personal view is that humanity as a whole is destructive and we have taken many things for granted that we should not have. It's very ambiguous, I know. But I do think that there is some good in humanity. I think when surrounded by so much evil in the world (when was the last time you read something positive in the papers) and you see someone doing something kind, however small or insignificant, it puts your faith back in humanity.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The problem is the terms "good" and "evil" since they are concepts and not facts. When a lion kills a baby gazelle and eats it, is that evil? No, that's nature. It's raw, visceral, and unforgiving. Human beings are born with these instincts and then we are molded based on our upbringings and surroundings. We spread out and do what we need to do to survive. Humans are very herd-like, people will often follow the alphas. There's not a lot of mystery to humanity, if you really look at it.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Humans are very herd-like
Actually, it's really the best method of classification yet --> When you recognize 'humanity' as a herd animal ranking somewhere in between "tree" and "cow", the breadth of human activity makes so much more sense than any previous method of thought.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Humanity = Struggle for survival.
Pretty much what Cons said.
And we are not different from animals. [We are another type of animal for that matter.]

acleland89 said:
I think when surrounded by so much evil in the world (when was the last time you read something positive in the papers) and you see someone doing something kind, however small it puts faith back in humanity.
Evil comes from us, from you. You're surrounded by your own nature. It goes the same way with "good".
You produce "evil" and "good".

Flump

Registered Member
I think if you look at human development, its pretty spectacular! Yeah some motives are a bit dodgy but from going to living in caves, grunting at one another and getting eaten by a Lion to massive cities with pretty much everything catered for and modern medicine improving by the day in a world where there are hundreds of complex languages. Pretty amazing to me.

It's easy to be so critical of the human race because we know so much, but the fact we do know so much surely must be noticed?

In regards to reading something good in a newspaper - good news doesn't sell as much as bad, unfortunately in society you have to look for the good news.

Interested

Registered Member
Humanity = Struggle for survival.
Pretty much what Cons said.
And we are not different from animals. [We are another type of animal for that matter.]

Evil comes from us, from you. You're surrounded by your own nature. It goes the same way with "good".
You produce "evil" and "good".

I agree with this. I think good and evil comes from the ways we deal with our nature. There is natural aggression within each of us, but some of us let it out and some of us don't (or let it out by doig something productive, e.g. chopping wood instead of heads)... So evil and good, from where I stand, would be decisions we make when we decide how will we deal with the urges we have.

To me humanity always was about ability to somewhat control our nature. I mean we are animals, but we possess some power to change direction of our actions. Which is one of the reasons why I treat "provocation" (as an excuse to actions) with a lot of scepticism, though sometimes it is a valid excuse.

Last edited: