Humanity? What will we do?

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by b00000001, Nov 30, 2009.

1. b00000001

b00000001 New Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post - I was searching for a forum or somewhere, anywhere to discuss this topic with someone. I felt this weighing heavily at me and wanted to know how/why other peoples thoughts.

First off, I'm not sure if this is in the right part of the forum, maybe - maybe not. But here goes.

The Billion-Year Technology Gap: Could One Exist? (The Weekend Feature)

I read this site after browsing digg.com last night. A few things caught my eye, in a nutshell, without any of you having to read it; it basically says that there are three popular rationales as to why we still have not made contact with an alien species. (The following is verbatim)

We are (A) the first intelligent beings ever to become capable of making our presence known, and leaving our planet. At this point, there are no other life forms out there as advanced as us. Or perhaps extraterrestrial life does exists, but for some reason extraterrestrial life is so very rare and so very far away we’ll never make contact anyway—making extraterrestrial life nonexistent in a practical sense at least.

Or is it (B) that many advanced civilizations have existed before us, but without exception, they have for some unknown reason, existed and/or expanded in such a way that they are completely undetectable by our instruments.

Or is it (C) There have been others, but they have all run into some sort of “cosmic roadblock” that eventually destroys them, or at least prevents their expansion beyond a small area.

I don't want to get too much into what that page actually talks about, however - theres one specific thing on the page that has me worried for humanity in general. And it's theory C. Later on in the passage, there is speculation that for us, it could very well be the fact that we're destroying ourselves that causes use to run into our roadblock.

Somehow, we all get to the point where we end up killing ourselves in a natural course of technological development and thereby self-inflict our own “cosmic roadblock”.

When we consider the chronological history of life on Earth, humans have only existed for a small fragment of time and our existence has always been precarious. The entire time we’ve existed, we been banding into various groups and attempting to kill each other—or at least are constantly in the process of developing more effective ways of killing each other—just in case. The US government, for example, spends on “Defense” (including “preemptive” warfare) and Homeland Security, 8 times what it spends on educating the next generation. There is enough nuclear weaponry in storage around the world to kill every living creature on the planet several times over. Clearly, we’re a species with poor odds of surviving indefinitely.

Why is this? What's causing us to want to destroy each other at all times. I got to thinking more about it, would the US not be in a perfect position to make a peaceful example to the rest of the world. I'm not saying the US is going around causing all the wars - but it's not exactly doing much to stop them either. In some cases, even having their hand in the perpetuation of war behind the scenes.

What if the US decided to destroy all of it's nukes, turn it's military into a peaceful humanitarian aid group. What if the US finally just washed it's hands of any further bloodshed and in essence gave up the ability to make war at any great scale ever again.

What would happen? Would we get invaded immediately? Would this benevolence be seen as weakness? Would that doom the world?

-Or-

Would this be just the catalyst needed to push the rest of the world to finally move toward harmony and working together for the greater good as opposed to individual needs/wants. I (maybe a bit naively) believe that nations would follow behind us. I think the US is already a role model nation for several others. I think just the act of becoming a peaceful nation would cause others to band with us (the US) and finally we could all start working together to change our future. The article is right, we'll be gone by our own hands at this rate, and not many seem to want to stop it from being because of some large nuke or something.

Thoughts? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

You present a lot of different points; I'll discuss just one for now -

I think you're overstating how close we've come to wiping ourselves out. If I remember correctly, the Black Plague is the only event in recorded human history that caused our total population to go down. Even during WWII, our population was booming.

3. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

There are some other options. Advanced extraterrestrial-civilizations could be choosing to not to make contact with us. Perhaps they don't want to interfere with us, or otherwise just don't care about us particularly. It might be too much of a pain-in-the ass for them to travel here or send a message just to interact with us.

4. blackhorse

blackhorse Registered Member

haha now thats a new one..i think we are just not developed enough..so even if the aliens have tried contact using watevr method we couldn recieve them cos we are technologically challenged..and i can understand b00000001 about the bloodshed and how we are killing each other..but we have come a long way from the time of ww1 and 2..so i still think there is hope for us..and i really don think the US should just throw their arms away..there are way too many countries and terrorists who cant wait to attack..even though its a nice notion though..i think the only time there wont be bloodshed is when the 3rd world countries rise to equal standin to the rest of the countries..its a slow process but we are getting there :)