• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Human Experimentation on Criminals

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Should criminals that society hates such as child rapists and murderers be subjected to human experimentation?

Do you believe it should be legal?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
If it is against their will, then no. If they volunteer for experimentation, then yes.

Impact

V.I.P.
I think people who have so severely violated someone else's rights, should lose theirs. So yes, I think it's fine. Of course, it really depends what you mean my human experimentation. If you're talking about drug trials then sure, but if you mean like...injecting them with a disease to see how it manifests...then no.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I have to go with the United States Constitution on this one, and say criminals should not be subject to cruel and unusual punishment. The justice system is fallible and innocent people are sometimes wrongly imprisoned. More than that, though, I consider torture unconscionable, and "human experimentation" seems like it could be indicative of that.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Not even if they volunteer, no. First of all, you don't know that their consent truly is voluntary, they could be coerced. Second of all, their victims or victims families would probably resent them being allowed to redeem themselves by making a positive contribution to society. Third of all, the truth is that the average IQ of the prison population is significantly lower than that of the general population, so it's possible that they do not understand the full implications of their consent.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I have to go with the United States Constitution on this one, and say criminals should not be subject to cruel and unusual punishment. The justice system is fallible and innocent people are sometimes wrongly imprisoned. More than that, though, I consider torture unconscionable, and "human experimentation" seems like it could be indicative of that.
I agree with this 100%. I would consider human experimentation to be cruel and unusual punishment and wouldn't support it even if they volunteered for it.

Kirkland

Well its quite a hard issue for me on the one hand I rather maintain my morality but at the same time one has to think about what this person has done. If they have killed someone for instance they have taken a part of society away, someone who worked and contributed to society. So it can only be fair that the person who committed the crime repay society by being part of an experiment which may help save lives.

On the other hand is it really just to experiment on people without their consent? Sure it may be justifiable but at the same time treating people decently is what most societies are based around. In my opinion even though I agree that punishment is vital, I also believe in taking the moral high ground and therefore I would oppose such a move.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I've got mixed opinions on this one. On one hand, it's smart to make people who are otherwise, drains on society, actually contribute in some manner. Naturally on the other hand, it's pretty immoral, and I'd be against forcing anyone into them. Maybe if they were subjected to social experiments, or behavioral experiments, than that wouldn't be so bad. As long as it was humane.

Dabs

Registered Member
A big hell no.
I don't believe in any form of cruel and unusual punishment.....even tho I know it happens all over the world on a daily basis.
If they are that big of a threat to society, and placed in prison, there they should be.....not used as experiments.
That's why we have rats~

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Our emotions tell us yes since people like that would not be missed and it would fulfill some deeper animalistic need for revenge. However, engaging in such inhumane activities would make us no better than the people we would abuse with this power. As much as we'd like to see those people "put to use", it's just far too brutal to consider.