• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

HS sends 170 students home for violating the dress code

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Good on these kids for making sure the teachers knew how dumb they were being.
Number 1 - The school teachers do not put the rules into place, the school board and I imagine governors/boards do.

Number 2 - They have not shown how teachers are being dumb, they have shown that in a situation they do not like they riot... oh no! Good on them...

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Number 1 - The school teachers do not put the rules into place, the school board and I imagine governors/boards do.

Number 2 - They have not shown how teachers are being dumb, they have shown that in a situation they do not like they riot... oh no! Good on them...
It is good on them. The whole point of school is to learn stuff. If the teachers/schoolboard/whatever is focusing more on dress code then the curriculum, then sometimes it takes a student riot to wake people up. I'd rather see kids standing up for themselves and practising free thought rather than just letting people walk all over them.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I disagree, dress codes are instituted for a reason. I don't understand what is so hard to follow rules. As an attorney I have to file rules as to how I dress in court, how I present a case, and I have to follow whatever rules my employer sets. The sooner we instill the need to follow rules the better.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
It is good on them. The whole point of school is to learn stuff. If the teachers/schoolboard/whatever is focusing more on dress code then the curriculum, then sometimes it takes a student riot to wake people up. I'd rather see kids standing up for themselves and practising free thought rather than just letting people walk all over them.
I agree, the idea is to have kids learn things and to be educated to be best degree. But, as I said before we are only seeing on side of this and one incident that has been pushed into the news.

Also, from a professional standpoint? Dresscodes or at the very least dressing to a standard is not in any way "dumb", they are what is required in certain professions because in the real adult world, that is what is done. You can argue this if you wish but go to any law firm/stock broker/bank etc etc and I can't help but feel you would be laughed at if you went in and said that dresscodes are "dumb"
------
I disagree, dress codes are instituted for a reason. I don't understand what is so hard to follow rules. As an attorney I have to file rules as to how I dress in court, how I present a case, and I have to follow whatever rules my employer sets. The sooner we instill the need to follow rules the better.
Exactly, you dress the way you do CO because you know that that is what is expected of you and you wish to be taken seriously (at least I am assuming so based on when I worked in a law firm). And as you say, why is it so hard to follow rules?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
When I was in high school my varsity basketball coach wanted us wearing khaki pants, a white shirt, a tie and a blue blazer. He had money appropriated from the school and he paid some money out of his own pocket to make sure everybody fit that code, when we traveled. When we got off the bus we looked professional and alike. His goal was to create a professional environment and that we looked like a team. Likewise a school district is trying to create an environment conducive for learning. If you don't agree with that the reaction isn't to riot.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I guess I'm just biased against rules that are in place for no reason. Frankly, from a logical point of view, it doesn't matter what you're wearing(safety gear is beside the point). I've never understood the whole 'gotta wear specific clothes for specific situations' mentality. Clothes are for protecting you from the elements, not some kind of cosmetic/aesthetic tool.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm in favor of a dress code but I think this school went a little overboard. This is HS not a court room or a business office.

Sure in certain careers you will have to dress in a certain way but most of the time it won't matter that much unless you are dressed like you are in a gang or working in a strip club.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm still mostly concerned with the mass removal of students at the END of the year, causing them to miss vital classes and even final tests. Also, the claim of this dress code not being consistently upheld has still yet to be addressed.

I think the debate over a dress code could be it's own thread but in all honesty, me personally, I think it's incredibly dangerous to teach kids from a young age to fade into the background because that's essentially what you do when you force conformity on them so young. Sure, there's a place for it but I don't think high school is the place.

Clare

Registered Member
While I think the dress code is maybe a little strict, that's not really the point. I agree with sunrise and CO that it shouldn't be that hard to follow some dress code rules. I'm not necessarily one that goes by the book all the time but to kick up such a fuss as they did just seems a bit over the top, and a bit bratty too. I do think it's a valuable lesson to teach the kids that if you're told to present yourself in a certain way you should. I'd guess that these kids were aware of the dress code and if so I think the school has the right to pull students up on it any point. IMO suspending them wasn't the right thing to do though, just giving a warning would be adequate.

On a side note, I think having a uniform is a better way of enforcing a dress code. It also eliminates the possibility of any child not being able to meet the requirements for whatever reason.