• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

HS sends 170 students home for violating the dress code

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Duncanville High School in Texas was the scene of a mass uprising Wednesday after 170 students were sent home for violating the dress code and anadditional unknown number were given in-school suspensions. As reported by KDFW Fox 4, administrators even called upon local police to help control the situation.

Texas high school sends 170 students home for violating the dress code
Sounds like all hell broke out because of this. Food and other items were being thrown in the cafeteria. Some students were hiding under the tables to keep from getting hit.

Being required to wear a belt and no denim seems a little strict to me.

Since there were so many violations I have to wonder if they had been enforcing the dress code.

Thoughts?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Get 'em young and teach them to bark when commanded.

I'm actually quite happy that enough of them were mad enough to make a scene at the school. As one kid said during the video, why wait until the last two weeks to give a shit about such a ridiculous dress code?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I remember in secondary (high) school we had to wear a specific school uniform, in fact as far as I know most schools in the UK require that pupils up until sixth form wear uniforms and honestly not only did I not consider it I never really had a problem with it and still don't.

I know some might say that it is the school trying to keep kids from representing themselves, that schools are trying to keep pupils in line and that they are trying to keep control by these methods and to be fair, the probably are but at the end of the day you are there to learn, it's not a fashion parade. I also know a lot of schools take the view that by having everyone dress the same it does not show up the kids who cannot afford the latest brands so they get bullied for it through no fault of their own and again, I am okay with that.

One thing I think it does teach as well is that in certain jobs and in life you cannot go around dressed in exactly was you want all the time, working life does not work like that. I used to work in a profession where clients could be in the office at any moment in time and as a result you had to dress smartly because that is what was needed and I see no problem installing this when in school.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Having to wear a school uniform is one thing but these kids didn't have to wear a uniform. Doesn't sound like to me they enforced the dress code until now for some reason. I don't blame the kids for being upset about it.

This is school not a job.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Maybe so but to start a food fight over it and start what looks like a mini riot on the videos? Come on, I know these kids are in school but I would have hoped a little more maturity would have been in place or am I expecting to much? Sorry but if it is in the rules and these rules are published then I have no sympathy for people not following them.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No they shouldn't have started a food fight but the school shouldn't have started coming down on people in the last two weeks about the dress code when they haven't been enforcing it all year. This is what happens when a school is inconsistent about enforcing the rules.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I see no inconsistency, the kids broke the rules, the school enforced them. Is this not quite a lot of consistency?
Read the story again.

As the students said, teachers only recently started going hard on the dress code. That is textbook inconsistency. I think it would take a lot of something wrong to get 170 high schoolers organized, you know?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Read the story again.

As the students said, teachers only recently started going hard on the dress code. That is textbook inconsistency. I think it would take a lot of something wrong to get 170 high schoolers organized, you know?
See this is where my problem lies. We do not know the other side of the story. Is it possible that the teachers have been trying to enforce the dress code but in a more persuasive manner but the students just did not listen and so started coming down in a harder fashion?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Dress code's are so dumb and pointless. In the workplace as well as the school. I can understand enforcing safety equipment etc for those reasons, but school uniforms and dresscodes are dumb. They serve no purpose other than being another thing teachers have to enforce. Good on these kids for making sure the teachers knew how dumb they were being.