• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

HS coach suspends team for cyber bullying

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Faced with reports that members of his team were cyber-bullying a fellow student, a Roosevelt, Utah high school football coach suspended the entire squad, not letting them reform until they agreed to an extensive set of conditions.

High school football coach suspends entire team for cyber-bullying | The Raw Story
I think its great this coach too cyber bullying this serious. Too often it is ignored until there is a tragedy. I'm not sure if the entire team should of been suspended or just the people involved. It will cause the players that aren't involved in bullying to say something to one that is because their butt will be on the line too. That would be a good thing but I don't think I would like it if I was held responsible for something someone else did.

What do you think about this coaches decision?

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
I think the coach's decision appropriate. Settling this cyber-bullying problem is more important right now than some football game. With the decision in mind, that would hopefully bring those cyber-bullies to their senses--might even flush out the real culprit.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think it's great that the coach is forcing his athletes to keep a standard of conduct. I know I said in anther thread that cyber bullying isn't as bad as it's made out to be, that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong.

I'm remembering back to the days when the wrestling coach discovered that one of my team mates had mouthed off pretty badly to a teacher. We got a long lecture about respecting authority. We then proceeded to go down to the gym and run suicide repeats. The coach said that we would go until the person fessed up in front of the entire team that they had screwed up (the coach knew who it was). We went for over an hour before the kid finally said anything (I hated him anyway :lol:).

I think it's great that a coach uses his position to really try and invest in his athletes to make them better people.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Kudos to the coach for taking a stand. I still think that the people being bullied need to learn how to block and ignore the ones causing the problem.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I like the coach's decision to suspend the entire team. While it does punish kids who might not be responsible for the bullying, it might encourage someone to come forward with some information.

I'm remembering back to the days when the wrestling coach discovered that one of my team mates had mouthed off pretty badly to a teacher. We got a long lecture about respecting authority. We then proceeded to go down to the gym and run suicide repeats. The coach said that we would go until the person fessed up in front of the entire team that they had screwed up (the coach knew who it was). We went for over an hour before the kid finally said anything (I hated him anyway :lol:).
Why didn't the kid confess right away if he knew he would have to run suicides until he did? He probably ended up just pissing off the entire team.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I think the coaches actions are commendable in this. Whilst other team mates are suffering because of this, bullying in itself is something that affects "other" people. So let them learn that their actions when bullying will not only get them in trouble, but others too. Hopefully the team members who are not guilty of this will be able to reason with the guilty players to instill in them how their actions affect all of them.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I bet the players that were doing the bullying caught hell from the players that weren't for getting them suspended too. Probably better punishment than anything else he could of done.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I bet the players that were doing the bullying caught hell from the players that weren't for getting them suspended too. Probably better punishment than anything else he could of done.
That's exactly what I mean. Sometimes knowing how your actions affected your "friends" (team mates) is the quickest way to make you realize that you did something wrong.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth NFL 14
Babe_Ruth NFL 0
Babe_Ruth NFL 34
Babe_Ruth NFL 3
Babe_Ruth Sports 5