How's this for police brutality?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Here's a novel idea. Obey the law, and don't run.
I take it you'll be compliant in handing over your subs when they become illegal, then.

Was what the officer did correct? Of course it isn't. Since when have we become a nation of turning criminals into victims tho?
Let's not confuse the two issues. What the man on the ground may have done and what the officer was caught doing on video are separate issues. Nobody's suggesting that the actions of the cop make the suspect any less of a scumbag. The point is that if they can do that him, they're free to do it to you. Should they be allowed to bash you in the head as you lie on your living room floor, if they don't like the way you're cooperating with their search for criminal artifacts?

Last edited:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
But it's not the criminal running away that's the point, it's what happened after he stopped running that's the problem.
Must not have read the second sentence :rolleyes:

I never once said what the officer did was right, but if the man had obeyed the law, or not run in the first place, this would not have happened.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's the bottom line. I don't understand how anyone can claim perfect love for the Constitution and then cheer as the basic tenet of due process is violated to any degree, no matter how slight. With the badge comes the grave responsibility not to abuse it, and kicking somebody about the head while holding him flat on his face at gunpoint clearly meets the legal test for excessive and unnecessary force (although I'm sure that Cap will contradict me).
Well, so far I haven't seen anyone cheering what happened. Secondly, when he was kicked in the head, he wasn't being held down yet.

I agree with you it looks excessive. However, being a police officer and dealing with punks like these on a daily basis can get extremely stressful. You also have to take into account the many times it appears a suspect is giving up only to pull out a knife or gun once they feel the officer has relaxed or lightened up (that happened to a cousin of mine). Once an officer thinks everything is fine and relaxes is the day he's shot and killed.

I don't know if this guy tried running over police officers during the chase. I do know he almost killed innocent bystanders. From an initial view of the tape it does look like a due process violation. All I'm saying is I'm not going to make that call based on 5 seconds of the tape alone.
------
Let's not confuse the two issues. What the man on the ground may have done and what the officer was caught doing on video are separate issues. Nobody's suggesting that the actions of the cop make the suspect any less of a scumbag. The point is that if they can do that him, they're free to do it to you. Should they be allowed to bash you in the head as you lie on your living room floor, if they don't like the way you're cooperating with their search for criminal artifacts?
It wasn't just a matter of not cooperating. It was a matter of a high speed chase that ultimately resulted in the guy running. He put his hands over his head and was just laying down, the officer had no idea whether he was armed, high on LSD, or what else the guy may or may not due.

Last edited:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I take it you'll be compliant in handing over your subs when they become illegal, then.
An old Latin phrase comes to mind. Malum in se.

it basically means "Evil in itself". Link

An offence malum in se is one which is naturally evil, as murder, theft, and the like; offences at common law are generally mala in sese.

Malum prohibitum, is the opposite. Basically it's only against the law because some politician felt the need to change my diaper for me. Banning guns, and me not turning them in would not fall under malum in se, since it is not inherintley evil to NOT follow a law just because it's a law.

Murder on the other hand is different. It is universally known as illegal. I'm willing to bet this guy has a wrap sheet as long as my arm... hense he falls under malum in se.

I would not.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I never once said what the officer did was right, but if the man had obeyed the law, or not run in the first place, this would not have happened.
Well, it happened, and there's nothing to the argument that criminal activity justifies police breaking the law in a situation like this.

Last edited:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Due to their position, and the power and authority that comes with it, I think cops should be held to much higher standards than others. Responsibility is the consequence of having authority. To mitigate the cop's crimes by focusing on the circumstances, while implying that the victim more-or-less deserved what he got (regardless of whatever circumstances he faced), just seems outright scummy to me, and the result of folks not being able to think outside of stereotypes and social roles. It seems naive.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
The police force is usually trained to know when to use "necessary" force. From the video, it seems that this was excessive, not necessary.

Must not have read the second sentence :rolleyes:

Or if he kept his temper to himself and took it out somewhere else later the swift kick in the head wouldn't have happened also.