How's this for police brutality?

A California police officer has been caught on camera apparently aiming a sharp kick at the head or neck of a suspect who has already surrendered.

The incident came at the end of a car chase through Los Angeles suburbs.
The footage shows the suspect, Richard Rodriguez, 23, trying to escape on foot, then lying down to surrender when he sees there is no escape.

One pursuing police officer kicks him, and another punches his side. The local police department is investigating.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US policeman 'kicks man in head'
So the proper way to subdue a suspect who's admitting defeat is to kick him in the head after he lays down? Mmm, to protect and to serve indeed:rolleyes:

Bananas

Endangered Species
Before I watched that video I thought that it was being blown out of proportion but then I see the kick and yeah I agree it was, even in the heat of the moment, uncalled for.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I saw the video on TV the other night and admit that's the initial reaction. But it's a little different being a cop and trying to get into their heads and feeling what they're feeling in a situation like that. I haven't seen the whole video other than this punk almost running people over before he took off running, so I'll wait and see what the investigation reveals.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
meh... The kick isnt what I'd be focusing on. How 'bout 52 seconds in when you see the other cop working his ribs with the NiteStick? :hah:

Preface: Police Brutality is bad...

My Opinion: Run from the Cops.....suffer the consequences. I have no pity for this guy, I hope they dropped a few knees to his kidneys where the Media Chopper didnt see.

Also...

Mr Rodriguez, a gang member, was detained for violating his parole and pending investigation into other charges.
what are the other charges? I'll venture to say if he's got a previous record as a known SoCal gang member, chances are they werent Jaywalking or parking violations. I'd bet they were alot more serious and definitely alot more violent.

Was the kick Excessive? Yeah maybe only because it was telegraphed so much. But if it were me in the cops position I'd have probably done the same, given the perp a nice taser ride just to ensure my safety.

ACLU can suck it in my opinion... I'd like to see those fat cat white collars chasing down MS13 and F14'ers for a living.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The guy had already surrendered. Police officers should be trained to use restraint when placing a suspect under arrest and not let their emotions get the best of them. That's what sets them apart from the criminals in the first place.

This video makes me sick.

icegoat63 said:
My Opinion: Run from the Cops.....suffer the consequences. I have no pity for this guy, I hope they dropped a few knees to his kidneys where the Media Chopper didnt see.
Running from the cops does not warrant getting kicked in the head after you're submitting to them.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Most "police brutality" videos are quite stupid and entail nothing but dumb ignorant motherfuckers who think running from the police is not going to get them in trouble. However, I have to agree with Bananas here. It was just uncalled for, especially since the guy gave up already. The honorable thing to do would be to cuff him and drag his dumb ass off to prison. You don't need to kick the guy in the head, he's not a threat and he didn't appear to do anything to the offending officer. He lead him on a chase, yes, but it's not up to the officer to deliver the man's punishment. Take him in to custody and let the justice system eat him.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
it's not up to the officer to deliver the man's punishment.
That's the bottom line. I don't understand how anyone can claim perfect love for the Constitution and then cheer as the basic tenet of due process is violated to any degree, no matter how slight. With the badge comes the grave responsibility not to abuse it, and kicking somebody about the head while holding him flat on his face at gunpoint clearly meets the legal test for excessive and unnecessary force (although I'm sure that Cap will contradict me).

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
The guy had already surrendered. Police officers should be trained to use restraint when placing a suspect under arrest and not let their emotions get the best of them. That's what sets them apart from the criminals in the first place.

This video makes me sick.
Here's a novel idea. Obey the law, and don't run.

Was what the officer did correct? Of course it isn't. Since when have we become a nation of turning criminals into victims tho?

Here's a novel idea. Obey the law, and don't run.

Was what the officer did correct? Of course it isn't. Since when have we become a nation of turning criminals into victims tho?
But it's not the criminal running away that's the point, it's what happened after he stopped running that's the problem.