How would you prefer to get paid?

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by Impact, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Would you rather work and get paid on a commission basis, get paid a salary, or just the typical hourly rate? Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Commission you could have a good month a make a shitload, but the next month sell little so get paid very little. A salary is only good if you don't work any over time, or less hours than your wage is worth, and an hourly rate is pretty self explanatory.

I think i'd rather get paid on an hourly rate. It may not have the advantages of being paid more when you have a productive week/month, but it's guaranteed no matter what, and you get paid for overtime and extra hours. Plus, it's all i've known and i'd rather stick to what I know.

So, out of those three, how do you prefer to be paid?

2. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I'll go with hourly rate even though to me salary and hourly rate is the same thing. I do make an hourly rate which leads to my year salary. Commision could definitely be great to have instead of the other two if your guaranteed the business is through the roof.

3. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, at my work, one guy gets paid a salary, and no matter what hours he does, he gets paid that same amount each week. If he were on an hourly rate, he would get paid say $x per hour, for each hour he worked, so the total pay amount would change. Does that make sense?

4. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

i would prefer to get paid hourly. commission would be great if you can make the sale but if you don't, you're out of luck.

5. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I think I would prefer hourly, i wouldn't mind getting over time!

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I'd have to go with salary. The biggest benefit is the security of knowing exactly your income, with hourly you can guess and be fairly accurrae but it does vary. I also found with salary the desire to chase hours was not as strong and more of a sense of job responsibility than just work to earn.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

For a short-term/side job, I'd rather get paid by the hour. For a 'career' type job, then much prefer a salary. Mainly for the sense of responsibility, like narners said.

I've only ever been paid by the hour, and it definitely suited me fine, for just a temporary job that I had over a gap year.

8. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I knew what you meant my dear. All I was saying that where I work at my fulltime job I'm getting paid at an hourly rate which leads to my salary. My salary is the same every year unless I'm given overtime hours when it's usually the busy season.

9. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

For now I like the hourly rate because I really like being able to do extra now and then however when I get a *proper job* I'll want it salaried.

xxx

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'd hate commission - it's too unpredictable, and it's out of my control.

As far as salary/hourly, it depends on the job. For some jobs, it's basically "Here's your job, and here's how much you're going to get paid for it. If you can accomplish it in a shorter amount of time, then you still get paid just as much. If you are less efficient, then that's your fault, and you still get paid the same"

Other jobs, it's "Oh, that's too bad. Something came up so you have to deal with it. It's too bad that it's 3 am Christmas morning, you need to deal with it. No, you don't get paid extra."