How would you market...

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Lets say you were in charge of the NHL instead of douche Bettman, how would you market the NHL in the United States? We all know that out of the four major sports in the United States hockey is last in popularity. What would you try to do to change that?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not sure I would try to change the popularity of hockey. I think I'd focus on keeping loyal fans loyal. Reverse all the rule changes that have been so unpopular with fans, particularly the Instigator Rule, and try to beef up rivalries.

3. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I like hockey as the America's least favorite major sport. As long as it still brings in the money it needs to keep from shutting down the doors, I like that there are a smaller group of fans. I'm not a big fan of things that get super popular or are fads. Plus, the more people that like hockey, the more idiots that come with it.

Jeanie likes this.
  4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree with pretty much everything thats been said so far.

Rather than focusing on marketing hockey to new fans like Buttman has attempted to do, I'd spend the time and Money in R&D finding ways to return the game to its glory it had during the 80's & 90's. The fan attachment to the game seemed to be so much stronger back then in comparison to what we have nowadays.

A big move I'd do is try to eliminate the "Rent-A-Player" system that the NHL abuses right now. Seems like every year teams use the Rent-A-Player concept of sending players to teams that may win a cup then they end up just resigning with the original team... this to me is horrible for Fan relationship.

So what I'd do is push the Trade Deadline to a much earlier date... I'm thinking around late December, early January rather than Late February Early March. If you take a look at the other sports they have a much earlier trade deadline in comparison to what the NHL has..... and because of that these Rent-a-players aren't as prevalent. I think the MLB has 'em a little bit but its a phenomenon that just doesn't seem to happen in the NFL. By getting rid of that, the teams will remain the same, fans can establish deeper connections with their rosters and get that feeling of family. Having a team change face every year is really hard on the fans.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

lol @ Rent-a-Player. I think that mentality is not good for rivalries. Rivalries tend to exist between specific teams with specific players (think Claude LeMieux and the Avalanche vs. Darren McCarty and the Wings)

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Exactly! I hate Rent-A-Players.... I mean yeah I have mad Respect for guys like Ray Bourque... but the moment he sold out his B's jersey to win a cup in Colorado, a little piece of that respect died.

I mean come on! guys like Bourque play with their clubs for years, almost decades some of them even more.... if you want a cup, do your best with that club dont just hang up the colors and go somewhere else. Ugh I hate that.

But yeah, just think in comparison to 1998 vs. 2008... how many players really changed colors in 1998 in comparison to 2008. There were a few, probably most all of them being C maybe B list skaters. Nowadays the Star of your team is up for grabs just about every year going to whatever team is favored to win it all.

Theres nothing I love more in todays NHL than to see Rent-A-Players get traded off... only to have their old teams beat 'em out of the playoffs :hah: