How would you improve the NBA?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Let's pretend you were named the NBA commissioner with unilateral power (in other words, no player union or team owner influence or channels through which to run). You can make any change in the league in an attempt to improve the product -- labor situation, personnel decisions, rules, etc. -- that could not be revoked immediately when and if you leave the post. What would you do?

C

Celtic Fan

I like the recent rule that is putting players back in college. It will only improve the quality of players coming into the league. It will help stress skills over workout wonder HS's who have no court sense or BBALL IQ at all.

I like the no illegal defence too.
I'd have someone or a group that reviews the refs calling of games randomly and work on making the refereeing better or finding refs who can do the job better than the current crop. stress consistency. Stuff you call at the beginning of the year gets called at the end.
and stop with all the offence charges call. This is not NCAA ball.

I would actually cut back the number of games available on TV. The market is over saturated. I would shorten the length of the playoffs. 5 days off after the season then it's no more than 1 day in a series.
these playoffs have been going forever.

the nba draft, I'd have the ball hopper live on tv to avoid acusations of cheating.
all 13 teams are random not just the first 3. worst 3 teams get 4 balls, next 3 get 3, next 3 get 2, rest get 1. If fans don't like tanking, it's up to them to send a message to their team, not the NBA management. If fans are gonna pay to watch their team play their bench guys for the last 1/4 or so of the season, well then they're the idiots.

make players more fan accessible, not necessairly more media accessible.
more visits to schools, signings, t-shirt give aways to the needy etc.
I love MMA because some of the top fighters still visit MMA forums etc.

contraction. we need 3-4 less teams so the level of play is better. If a team struggles for 5 years financially, boom, they're gone unless a solid owner wants to take over. New owner gets 8 years max to turn it around.

drop prices of tickets 10% and keep the cap as is without an increase for 2-3 years.
these guys make more than enough.

I'd like to get rid of the handchecking rule and force some physical basketball. It's getting ridiculous how soft players have become. It slows down the game way too much with all thos freethrows. I'd also make sure that the refs call more for traveling since Team USA had troubles with traveling. (Especially Wade)

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
I forgot about one , Celtic Fan mentioned it.

No Illegal Defence. I think that rule is as dumb as they come in the NBA and I think that it should be gotten rid of.

C

Celtic Fan

I forgot about one , Celtic Fan mentioned it.

No Illegal Defence. I think that rule is as dumb as they come in the NBA and I think that it should be gotten rid of.
wait... so you want the illegal defence rule back?!!?

WHY ?!?!
WHY WHY WHY

It wasn't called the same from one ref to the next, the expert announcers couldn't even clearly tell you what it was.
it was a horrible rule, that the NCAA and FIBA didn't use and for good reason.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would re-evaluate the rule about players going reaching a certain point when they're on the bench. Like when Amare and Diaw got suspended I believe that rule is a good rule but it needs to change a bit. That's all I can think of right now I'm sure I am going to find something else.

C

Celtic Fan

good point MJ.
There needs to be some common sense involved.
it's not like they have to make a decision right away. They review the incident on tape.
dude takes a step or two, gains his composure, doesn't get near an opposing player.
no harm no foul.
dude gets off the bench, starts woofing at the other team or waving his hands etc etc.
bu-bye.
it's not that hard. Stern's being a hardass for no good reason.

zunami

Registered Member
Way too many charges. A charge shouldn't be called if a player has just passed the ball and his momentum carries him into another guy, just make it a non-call. With less charges, there'd be less flops.
With the leaving the court rule, just make it free for interpretation and use common sense.
A player should be explained in a meeting why he got suspended if he wants to know (Kobe Bryant). That was just ridiculous. It seemed like Stern was scared to talk to him because he couldn't have come up with a convincing argument.
Call more palming violations on star players.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Good point Celtic, if the players step on the court and start shoving and start throwing punches, then yes they can get suspended, but if they make a few steps and then go back to the bench just like Amare and Diaw did then they shouldn't get suspended.