How would you describe life in Heaven?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by FutureTrackStar, Jun 6, 2010.

1. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

How would you describe life in Heaven / the New Earth / That-eternal-paradise-your-religion-speaks-about? Are we conscious beings? Can we speak to each other? Is God there, and if He is, what is He doing? How will/would we spend our time in such abode?

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Isn't the Bible more specific about Heaven?
    I thought your questions were being explained there.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Jeanie likes this.
  3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

There's no way of knowing.

/thread

4. FutureTrackStar

- 1. Yes, some things about the eternal state can be gleaned from the Bible.
    2. I don't understand your second sentence. Please reword it.
    ------
    - 1. You do realize this is the religion forum right? You could basically say what you just said about EVERYTHING we talk about in this forum. Please don't post things if you aren't going to contribute.
    ------
    - If the purpose of the thread was to find out what the Bible says about Heaven, I would have asked "what does the Bible say about Heaven?" But I didn't ask that. I'm asking OTHER people, and OTHER religions, to express their beliefs about the afterlife.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

As there is no Jewish concept of Heaven I can't answer the question, unless you explain a little deeper.
    By heaven, do you mean the spiritual world? Or do you mean the state of this world after the days of the Mashiach (messiah)?

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

There's is no afterlife concept in Jewish?

7. FutureTrackStar

- I mean the eternal paradise-state that people reside in after the Messiah comes.

8. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Yes there is. But the usage of the word Heaven has no meaning in Judaism.
    We have different terms/concepts for what FTS is referring to.
    I'll elaborate later on the subject.
    ------
    Basically there are two possibilities studied in Judaism:
    Maimonides says that the world will continue its natural ways (i.e life & death) but everything will be much easier in all aspects of life. There will be no more wars. Everyone will be aware of God's existence.
    Maimonides approach is that all prophecies regarding these times are all allegories and we will only understand their true meaning once these times come.

This has been widely accepted by non- or less-mystical branches of Orthodox Judaism.

Nachmanides says that at these times the world's nature will change. It will be a time where everyone will have a chance to repent and get ready for the world to come. When it will be time for the resurrection era, everyone will receive their retribution (good & bad) on all their deeds. The body form will be much more spiritual. The good retribution will come in the form of light and warmth which will reach as far as the level of spirituality of the individual.
    It will be an eternal world with no death.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  9. stevenfermi

stevenfermi Registered Member

Judaism is very complex on its view of Heaven. HaOlam HaBa (the world to come) is the most common, however in the 5 principle books only Sheol (a dark place with weird beasties) is mentioned. I personally think the Jews (I am Jewish myself) made it to compete with the silly notion of heaven.

Heaven is like, being happy I guess. However, if you are happy forever, aren't you bored? I mean, what is life without conflicts and struggle?
    I personally like the Limbo in the Divine Comedy a lot better.

10. Alex37

Alex37 Registered Member

The word "Heaven" as understood by Christians has a completely different meaning from the meaning it has in Judaism. The Hebrew word for Heaven is Gan Eden (גן עדן), which is, the Garden of Eden, a place that actually existed in this world. However the idea of spirit does exist, as seen in the story of Saul and Samuel, when Saul summons the spirit of Samuel, who tells him that he (Saul) will join him tomorrow (and the day after Saul died). The general idea is that the next world, HaOlam HaBa, is in here, on Earth, after the Mashiach will arrive and will rule humanity forever, and the people who will return to life will really live in a next world. Which people will return, that's a place of debate. You can claim that with the modern technology, people might die some times in their life but "return" as the technology is able to save them and restore their bodies (which is a proof that the modern times are close to the Mashiach's arrival). But if your body cannot be healed, your spirit goes to purification in the Gehenom (גיהנום), for twelve months. Gehenom is translated in English as Hell, but actually it's good spirits that go in there (the bad ones cease to exist, in most cases), so all the bad they have done in life will be cleaned out of them (if they are righteous they might be saved from this part), and they can live in the world of the dead, which is the Sheol (Sh'ol שאול). But the Sheol is not eternal in means of "you get in there and that's it", but your spirit can be summoned out of there (though doing that is forbidden), it can somehow connect with this world's people through dreams, but it doesn't enjoy the form of a body. Now, most people are rewarded for their good and bad actions in this world, but if not, there is Reincarnation (Hebrew: Gilgul Neshamot גלגול נשמות). The spirit goes out of the Sheol and the person is born again as someone else, which can explain why sometimes good people suffer and bad people enjoy. The idea of a judgment day as understood by Christians doesn't exist. There is a judgment day every Hebrew year, which is on Yom Kippur, and on that day God looks at what you did during the last year and decided what will happen to you in the next year. So really it is very complex, those who don't return, don't enjoy Olam HaBa, go to the Sheol, and they can return by Reincarnation anyway. So the ideas of both eternal suffer or pleasure just don't exist. The Sheol is a spiritual place, though it's not a good place; life in this world, before or after the Mashiach will come, are better than anything that death might give you, so stay alive as much as you can.