How Would the World's History Be Without the Influence of Religion?

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Icyblackflame, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Icyblackflame

Icyblackflame Registered Member

I'm sorry of this was made before. I did a search on the word "God," "Religion," and "the" (for the pure hell of it), and they all came up with no results. (I did three seperate searches, including "Christian," which showed no results also). I also did some more, but nothing came up. Am I doing it wrong?

Anyway, I've read a lot of comments saying how the concept of religion has made the world horrible and totally ... bad. (Note that I am not specifying a specific religion).

However, religions did manage to set some moral values (good and bad), which are what we go by today.

...But how do you think history would be without religion? What would we set moral values by? How much crime (or lack thereof) do you think there'd be? How much hatred do you think there'd be? Love? Money issues? Etc.

I'm not trying to imply that these would be bad. I'm just trying to feed the mind so you can think of some things. Really, I just want to know what you think, so say anything you please (as long as it's following the rules of this forum thiny...)
    -Icy

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Anyone who thinks that religion is ALL bad doesn't know what they're talking about. Religion has brought about good moral values, but it has also brought about countless wars, deaths, and endless fights over who's invisible avenger is better.

3. scitsofreaky

scitsofreaky Registered Member

Religion is certainly a mixed bad. I'm in the camp that thinks that religion has served its purpose and it's time to move on. Religion seemed to be important in allowing people to live in larger groups which lead to civilization as we know it. And that allowed for peoples to accomplish great things, both good and bad.
    But it has worn out its usefulness, now it does more harm than good. If you don't believe me, just read about world events and tell me how many of the wars are unrelated to religion.

4. Cheezewiz

Cheezewiz Guest

Oh you are definatly not looking hard enough. Most of Africa is involved in civil wars, that is not religion related. Or how about the Cold War, most of it was Political, not religious. Religion is still very important, and always will be. It gives a set of moral values, and many preach a message of peace and love. It also has you believe in God, which i believe is very important. :p

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

You know . . not all religions believe in "God" . . just to let you know.

Religion does have its postitives, but the negatives outweigh them.

Oh and as a side note, that certain unamed religion that believes in "God" is responsible countless unecessary deaths. Witches, the Crusades . .

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Religion is one of the biggest causes of death in past and present, but it's also brought people together. Without religion, people wouldn't have anything in common, which wouldn't result in the formation of cultures and civilizations. The world would be even more chaotic without religion.

BUt as a religion grows, other religions pop up too, and conflict rises from that, so yeah, it's not all good.

7. Mare Tranquillity

Mare Tranquillity Elite Intellectual

On all of these God/religion threads there is the implication that without religion or God that people would have no morals or standards, that the world would be immersed in anarchy or chaos and this just isn't true. This quote by Radd is a case in point, "im not talking about whether you think its a sin or not, im just curious how others who don't believe in God feel about this." Many people have good values that come from within them, from observation and experience. Three interesting websites devoted to these ideas are:
    http://infidels.org/
    http://www.godwithoutreligion.com/
    http://www.passionoftheatheist.com/Default.aspx?tabid=74

Personally, I think religion is crutch that allows people to put off learning to deal with the real world by pretending that some invisible, all-knowing, all-everything Being is going to come and save them. If people believed that we were in this by ourselves perhaps they would work a little harder to solve the problems we face with the tools that we have: intellect, logic, and reasoning, instead of relying on blind faith and unquestioning devotion to unprovable dogma. One of the reasons that I like the idea of reincarnation (whether it's true or not is irrelevant to my point) is that you have to come back over and over again until you get it right and pay for your mistakes--no supernatural rescue--you do the work and rescue yourself.

8. Cheezewiz

Cheezewiz Guest

You are right, many religions don't believe in God, but if thats the case, then whats religion? I always defined religion as moral teachings, and following God. I define the rest as philosophies which are just moral teachings. But I guess you are right, I did phrase it wrong.

9. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

An interesting take on the effect of religion on humanity:

link

Basically it argues that those who were more likely to believe in an unseen divine enforcer were nicer to others, which resulted in cooperative societies that out-competed non-cooperative ones.

Oh, and as for calling Christianity a net evil because of the Crusades, that was several centuries ago, and it was just slightly in contradiction with the teachings of Jesus. I think that's one that can be laid at the feet of the specific individuals responsible, not the religion as a whole.

10. Kos4Evr

Kos4Evr Registered Member

There are two main theories, that we would be morally corrupt without religion and that we would have been fine if not better off without. Most of the people in the first group have been impacted by religion in a positive way. Most of the people in the second group have either never had a positive encounter with religion or had a very negative experience. Neither group is mutually exclusive and there is no right or wrong answer.

I personally think that without the belief in something greater than mankind, people would be greedy and selfish. But in my eyes that is human nature.