• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Video How Wolves Change Rivers

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is a video a friend of mine showed me yesterday and I thought it was pretty neat. It shows how small changes in an ecosystem can have huge effects on everything else around it. In this case, wolves affect the flow of rivers in Yellowstone National Park.

How Wolves Change Rivers - YouTube

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wolves are beautiful animals and I'm glad they reintroduced them. Hopefully this time they won't be killed out.

It's funny how one species can have such an effect on everything else. Where I live we have way too many coyotes and deer maybe they should reintroduce them here.

People here have a bad habit of cutting all the trees along the creek that runs through their property. I have told many people that is a bad idea because it holds the creek banks in place and helps control erosion. We leave all the trees alone around the creeks and we have many beaver that take advantage of that.

Laine

Registered Member
Amazing video, thank you for sharing. I remember in a class I was in our teacher discussing the importance of the wolves we had running about in Estonia and it was much the same as your video in context. Without the wolves to curve the grazer population the entire ecosystem would be thrown off just as your video shows.

wolfheart

Registered Member
What a fantastic video, Wolves are my favourite animal and I enjoy watching this kind off thing on them.
It's nice to hear a positive, when a few years ago it was always negative things you heard about packs, the fact that the packs of Yellowstone have changed the way the park survives,altering the course of rivers and such is amazing.

Hopefully one day I will get to Yellowstone to see that beauty with my own eyes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a prime example of why I hate it when a species becomes extinct. The loss of one species can change everything so much.

Yellowstone is beautiful, well worth the visit, can be crowded though.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I agree Hilander, and the effects to an ecosystem such as Yellowstone when it's an apex predators is even worse, the loss of these apex hunters means that nothing is being kept in check.
As the video shows the Wolves keep everything at an equal balance, from the prey they take to keeping other lesser predators away,from what I read the number of coyotes shot up dramatically when wolves were no longer around in certain areas.
Mesopredators such as these,without an apex to fear can become huge problems to deal with,as they are normally alot higher in numbers than the apex predators would of been.

I would really like to Yellowstone at some point, the videos and pictures I have seen are simply stunning.