• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How will you introduce your children to religion?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
No guys, it really does happen. My father acted that way towards me when I was growing up. He would get angry with me if I didn't subscribe to his religious beliefs, and I often was punished for having a different opinion or a mind of my own. It was forced on me, I resisted, and suffered mental and physical abuse because of it. My father was very much fire and brimstone. My parents were divorced, and if I ever mentioned well mom says this, or my step dad says that about religion, he would scream at me that they were going to hell, and if I didn't straighten up I was going to go to hell too. I was around age 12 when this particular incident happened, and he would scream at me until I cried.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I didn't say it doesn't, but he said ALL. That's like saying "all white people" or "all black people" or "all Hispanics", its fallacious thinking. Besides, intolerance isn't exclusive to religious beliefs.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah, he shouldn't have said all. However, since a lot of people were posting that their experience wasn't like that at all, since mine was I thought I would chime in to add that into the mix.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
He said it in a sarcastic and condescending manner and impugned ALL religious people which is sloppy thinking. No doubt there are people who behave that way, as he described, but the same can be said about some atheists who belittle and mock those who disagree with them and pass those kinds of traits onto their kids.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I won't, not at first. Maybe.... Around the age of ten. Sure, if they ask questions, I will try to do what Di said. Answer them without forcing my own opinion. I want my kid to choose. And as much as I hate religion, I won't sway my child just because of my beliefs.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I won't, not at first. Maybe.... Around the age of ten. Sure, if they ask questions, I will try to do what Di said. Answer them without forcing my own opinion. I want my kid to choose. And as much as I hate religion, I won't sway my child just because of my beliefs.
I hope to do the same. I'd rather them find what they believe to be true and help them along. I'd honestly prefer if they remained apathetic like myself because I think it will bring them more harm than good in the long run but yeah I'm a big fan of personal choice so I can't see myself pushing anything.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I won't.

If I were to, I would present them the basics of each religion and then nothing more. I would do this when they are starting to mature though.

As important as religion is for the basis of social morals, I wouldn't want anyone to change themselves for it. It is their own path, not mine, I'll make sure they are prepared to choose when they wish to and know the primary differences between them all.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I will not pressure nor give great influence on my child beyond explaining that I do not believe in god and give them my reasons.

If my children choose to believe in a god I will not hold it against them. It is their choice and I can only offer my opinion.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think the most important thing it today's world is to teach children about your faith using logic and arguments in addition to faith. I take my kids to church and do devotionals with them but they get such an anti-Christian worldview outside the home its vital to prepare them for that in the home. So, I talk a lot about absolute truth, history and creationism. Last night, for example, I told them about a podcast I listened to about parasites and how parasites defy evolution. I'm not trying to start an evolution debate, I'm just saying if you're going to raise your kids as Christians, they've got to have the tools needed to counter what they are taught outside your home.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
To answer the OP, I would obviously raise my kids as Christian, as that is what I believe in. I think we can all agree we would raise our kids to believe what we believe. I would introduce them to my religion the same way I was introduced, church from before I could walk, prayer and the Bible. Basics.

I agree with CO that NOT teaching your kids about religion, if you are for example atheist, is also just another way of teaching them your religion/belief. Nothing wrong with that. We all want our children to believe what we do. If I didn't believe what I did, why would I teach that to my kids?

I would love and support my children unconditionally, regardless of what decision they make later in life. I would like to believe that I would have by that time raised them well enough to follow my believe, as would any parent.

The only way anyone can say that they are completely open to their children practicing any religion they chose would be to introduce your child to ALL those religions from a young age, so that the child can learn enough about all of them to make an informed decision when he/she gets to the age where they chose for themselves. I'm certainly not going to teach my children any other religions than Christianity. Just like no atheist/agnostic is going to teach them other religions either.