• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How will you introduce your children to religion?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like the thread title states, how will you introduce your children to religion? With you let them make their own decision, or will you introduce them to your religion?

dDave

V.I.P.
There's a duplicate of this thread btw.

I will bring my kids to church with me and teach them that the Bible is truth. I understand the whole thought process of not forcing religion on anybody. The bible commands that I bring my children up in the ways of God though. Ultimately it will be their decision whether or now they want to follow though.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I took my son to church some but I never forced down his throat. I introduced it to him but left the decision of what he wanted to do up to him. When I was a kid I didn't like being forced to go to church so when I became an adult I didn't go much.

I know someone that did and when their kids finally got grown they went off the deep end with doing what they wanted because their mother was so strict and religious.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It'll be up to them. If I ever have any. Depending on the school they attend they will probably be taught a lot about religions there. If not I will introduce them to a lot of religions. It will be their choice but deep down I wouldn't be too happy if they decided to really strictly follow any religion.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's perfectly possible to introduce your child to religion while still letting them have their own choice. In fact, many religions require that each person make their own choice.

I will say that if I do ever become a parent, and if I have a religion then, I would certainly introduce them to the faith, but be careful not to pressure them too much

dDave

V.I.P.
It's perfectly possible to introduce your child to religion while still letting them have their own choice. In fact, many religions require that each person make their own choice.

I will say that if I do ever become a parent, and if I have a religion then, I would certainly introduce them to the faith, but be careful not to pressure them too much
What's pressuring them too much though? It sounds good in theory, but if you really believe in God are you really doing your kids a favor by not pressuring them?

Wade8813

Registered Member
If you pressure them too much, their faith won't be real - they'll just be doing whatever it takes to please you (or to get you to leave them alone). It HAS to be something they want. You can try to be very convincing, but you should make it clear that the choice is completely up to them, and that you will still love them just as much regardless of their choice.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
There's a duplicate of this thread btw.

I will bring my kids to church with me and teach them that the Bible is truth. I understand the whole thought process of not forcing religion on anybody. The bible commands that I bring my children up in the ways of God though. Ultimately it will be their decision whether or now they want to follow though.
I find it very hard to believe that "ultimately it will be their decision". Will it really? I think your kidding yourself a bit there. If you take them to church, teach them that the Bibe is truth and explain that you yourself follow this religion then that's basically forcing them into it isn't it.

I don't really see any choices there. By the time they are old enough to even make a choice of course they will chose what you choose for them, since it's what they grew up with and it's what they were forced into from a young age. Meaning it would basically be all they know. I don't see how any of what you described comes down to being their decision.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I find it very hard to believe that "ultimately it will be their decision". Will it really? I think your kidding yourself a bit there. If you take them to church, teach them that the Bible is truth and explain that you yourself follow this religion then that's basically forcing them into it isn't it.

I don't really see any choices there. By the time they are old enough to even make a choice of course they will chose what you choose for them, since it's what they grew up with and it's what they were forced into from a young age. Meaning it would basically be all they know. I don't see how any of what you described comes down to being their decision.
Not at all. For instance, a parent might take their kids to church, teach them that they're convinced the Bible is truth and explain that they follow this religion - but also that a lot of really smart people disagree with them.

In fact, all you would have to do is find examples of people whose parents did what you describe but the kids don't believe (or similarly, people who's parents did the same thing with politics but the kids disagree).

Is there a strong influence? Absolutely. Maybe even too strong of an influence. But that's not the same as being forced.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's not really what Dave said though. He said he would be "teaching that the Bible is truth". Which insinuates that if his children do not believe it then they would be living a life of lies. Which is a lot of pressure for a young kid. And he never mentioned anything about smart people who disagree with him.