• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss How will yahoo handle Shohei Ohtani?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is obviously for fantasy baseball purposes. If you're not aware Shohei Ohtani is a 23 year old Phenom, two-way, baseball player from Japan who signed with the Angels. He is a pitcher AND a batter. He's hit over 20 homeruns in Japan and is probably an even better pitcher. He has the fastest ever recorded pitch in Japan at 102.5 MPH.

So the question becomes, how will yahoo handle his stats this season? There is an official answer and its kinda odd but makes sense. Normally if you have a pitcher who hits a homerun as a batter, you do not get credit for it but this guy is different.

Yahoo has decided there will be TWO Ohtani's...pitcher Ohtani and batter Ohtani. If you draft him as a pitcher, you don't have to get him as a batter too because someone else can. So two managers could have a different version of him. Its like sharing his stats...unless you draft him twice...and it'll take two picks to do so.

Thoughts on this process?

Here is yahoo's article on it...

Shohei Ohtani's status in Yahoo Fantasy Baseball

Last edited:

EdgeHead

Registered Member
But did the Angels decide though what were the plans for Ohtani? Will they use him as a pitcher or some other position on the field?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know exactly. I looked on their website when I made this thread and he isn't listed on the depth anywhere...

I dunno if they even know but the word is he'll definitely pitch but we shall see

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
If he can do both effectively he should do both in the league. I like the idea of having a hitter and pitcher for him since Yahoo's scoring for Baseball isn't conducive to two way players.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree...I think that its the best way to go the more I think of it. They can't really do it any other way, I guess.