How well do you know the night sky?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tucker, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Do you have an interest in astronomy, or maybe astrology? Are you a hopeless romantic who just likes to stare up at the stars? For me it's a yes to the first and third question. I can probably point out ten or so constellations along with a couple of major stars like Betelguese and Sirius. (I can hear Chaos now: "Why so Sirius?") usually I know which planets are visible on any given night and can tell you when the next month's full moon will be.

Where are you on the celestial familiarity scale? Would you (depending on your hemisphere) recognize Andromeda, Mars, the Southern Cross, Orion? Do you know how to find Polaris, aka the North Star, by following the handle of the Little Dipper? What do you see when you look into space?

I could have put this into Science, I suppose, but it's really not that. It's just about me wondering what you've picked up through the years about the galaxy and its neighbors around us.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I used to know it fairly well back when I took astronomy in high school but ever since then I haven't bothered to look at it much. I've all but forgotten everything I learned in that class.

I am pretty sure I can see Orion and the North Star but I could be wrong. I know I have seen them before in midwestern America and I assume they are still there. :D

Tucker likes this.
  3. snowflake

snowflake Registered Member

I love to look up at the start on a night.
    It's one thing i wish i'd taken an interest in when i was younger, but i guess it's never too late to learn.

Tucker likes this.
  4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I can only pick out a few of the major constellations, but I do love looking at the stars. Unfortunately there's so much light pollution in the Chicago area that there aren't many stars. If I ever move somewhere with a better night sky I'll probably read up on constellations.

Tucker likes this.
  5. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

When I am bored on a hot summer night, I go outside, lay on the driveway and look at the stars and somehow connect them and see what they make, my imagination of course.

6. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I actually used to be really fascinated by astronomy years and years ago. I've since forgotten alot of it, but I know I would be able to find Orion and the North Star, as well as some other constellations.

Since I'm in Columbus, though, there is too much light pollution to see anything but the brightest stars.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Yes to all questions although I'm more the 3rd type. I like staring at the sky especially if I can actually see stars. I used to decorate my room with glow in the dar stars too for the effect. I noticed that in some places, even if you have a seemingly clear sky, you don't see many stars.

I haven't really taken the time to study the names of the stars but I recognise major ones like the Big Dipper. I think I even invented names, haha. There used to be a star I picked as mine but never bothered to find out what it is or what it's name. I just like looking at it.

I would love to pass a time at an observatory. I cut out an ad years ago for the observatory here in Paris but never got to go there.

8. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I like looking into the night sky,I can pick out a few of the more well known constellations and am fairly good at knowing when the next full moon is.
    On a clear night just before bed my little one's like to look for the north star,as they class it as my sister's star,so the find it and say goodnight to there aunty.

Unfortunately there is a secondary school not to far from us,with an outside football pitch so they have bloody great spotlights to light up the field which also light the night up to much to see a lot.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'm not that interested in astronomy etc, but I do love looking up at the stars. I spent hours and hours, with my dad, doing that on the patio at night-time (obviously lol). The only constellations I could easily point out are Orion and the seven sisters. I know the north star too, I think.

10. Lemonv1

Lemonv1 Registered Member

I couldn't even point out one constellation. I like stars, but I only tend to properly look if I'm walking somewhere at night.
    I could never look at them, as Bex says, for hours and hours. I'd get immensely bored.
    I wouldn't mind learning the constellations etc, I just can't look at something practically static for too long.