How to Train Your Dragon Live

Iris

rainbow 11!
that is so awesome! I am seriously so jealous. try to take a couple of clips so we can see it. I can't remember if I asked you this before, but do you know if they are touring and if they will make it over seas?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah Kay it's starting off in Melbourne, then it's moving to Sydney, then New Zealand. They are the only set dates so far, but once it leaves New Zealand it's off around the world! It will be going to the US, Europe, probably Asia etc.
------
Okay so after the 7pm Friday night show was cancelled we got tickets to yesterdays 3pm show.

In the end we were still in the world premiere of this, before it sets out on it's 5 year world tour so that's pretty exciting.

This is a MASSIVE show, and a show of this scale and this much advanced technology has never been attempted before, so I wasn't expecting the entire thing to run smoothly.

Before the show even started the director and producer came out to welcome us, and they warned us that due to the safety of the actors they may have to pause the show at any time to do some extra work/fix technical errors etc. They said if that's the case we may get to witness a bit of behind the scene type stuff.

The first half went by fairly smoothly. There was a couple of sound errors, and a few timing issues I think, but it was mostly smooth. The interval ran for a really long time. Twice they announced they were extending it to fix issues backstage.

The second half wasn't quite as smooth. They had to pause the show twice, and had a few noticeable problems. The largest being in one major scene when they obviously couldn't bring the toothless puppet out for some reason, and the actor had to run around with a cardboard dragon on a stick. I must admit it looked pretty funny, but the young actor did an amazing job or working with it considering the circumstances.

The whole show ended up running an hour and a half overtime, not that I minded, that's just more time being surrounded by awesome for me. Also, before the show finished the producer and director came out once again and offered us all free tickets to another show before it leaves Melbourne! Very cool, and very kind of them.

Despite the complications (and I expected something like that) the parts of the show that did work were breathtaking. It really is outstanding what they have accomplished with this. And during it's 5 year world tour there will be tweaking and changing and a lot of fine-tuning with the issues they are having now. Hopefully they will all be ironed out soon and the show can run through completely without having so many errors.

Last edited:

Vecoli

Registered Member
Yeah, I was really surprised at that considering for the most part it did run pretty smoothly. I love that we get to go see it again hopefully next time in it's entirety although I actually really enjoyed seeing how they dealt with some of the issues.

We got to see Hiccup skateboard past us as well!! :D

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
We got to see Hiccup skateboard past us as well!! :D
Yeah, and being the cool, calm, collected people we are, we went up to him, said hi, congratulations and asked to have a photo with him...

That's what we SHOULD have done.

In reality we just stared at him awkwardly for a while with our girlish smiles until we shyly walked off.

I am so jealous of you guys, I would love to see it but time isn't very kind to me :( I loved the movie!
It's a shame that it's only here for two weeks. It makes it very hard to see. Time isn't kind to Nick and I either. He's doing VCE and I'm doing first year Uni. I'm already way behind on homework because of the twice I went up (and the one time I actually saw it) this weekend. And now we are already planning to see it again on Sunday. As you can tell we have out priorities in order :p

Here are a couple of photos I took on my phone of the arena while we were waiting for it to start.

Vecoli

Registered Member
haha HTTYD beats school every time. Maybe he'll skateboard past us AGAIN this Sunday and we'll get a chance to act like normal people around him.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Okay so Nick and I went to this show again yesterday with our free tickets. It was the closing show in Melbourne, and it was AMAZING. Not one technical error or glitch. And a lot of things happened that didn't in the first one we went to, like the addition of massive fireballs going off throughout the show!

It really is an amazing show when everything is working smoothly. I recommend it to anyone.

Here is a really blurry photo I took on my phone during the curtain call, when all the actors and dragons were out on stage.

And here is a much more professional photo of a scene during the show with Toothless, Hiccup and the Red Death.