How to Train Your Dragon Live

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I am SO excited for this. Words seriously can't even explain my excitement. The Dreamworks film How to Train Your Dragon has been turned into a live arena spectacular show and it looks amazing. I bought my tickets today for opening night with a friend. Even though that won't be for three months. It's better to be prepared right? We got premium tickets too, $100 each but I think it will be worth it.

Anyway HTTYD Live is being made by the same Australian company who made the Walking With Dinosaurs live show which is still touring around the world. The same principle is being used as when they made those giant dinosaur puppets, only now it's dragons. There's going to be more puppets, bigger ones, and now even flying and fire breathing ones! The company who makes them have also improved a lot too, and now the movements and actions of the beasts look even more realistic. It really is amazing.

Here is a photo of two of the already finished puppets. This is two of what will be 35 puppets used in the final show (and these are two of the smaller ones!)

The level of detail just astounds me, what goes into making these is incredible.

Official trailer:
How To Train Your Dragon Cinema Ad - YouTube

Although, if you want to really see how amazing and realistic the movements of these puppets are, then I suggest you watch this footage filmed at a media release for the show.

How to Train your Dragon - YouTube

Iris

rainbow 11!
oh! I remember you posted about this before, and I can't lie, I'm so jealous. I really wish I could go see it. the dragons just look fantastic, and I really loved the movie. is it going to just follow the movie or do you know if it's going to be different at all?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's going to be the same story as the movie with the same characters, but it's also going to have whole new scenes, new dragons etc. It's opening in Australia first since it's an Australian company who made the dragons, but after that it will be touring around the world so you will probably get a chance to see it. I stuck my tickets on the shelf next to my bed. Now I can look at them every night before I go to sleep haha. So excited!

Iris

rainbow 11!
It's going to be the same story as the movie with the same characters, but it's also going to have whole new scenes, new dragons etc. It's opening in Australia first since it's an Australian company who made the dragons, but after that it will be touring around the world so you will probably get a chance to see it. I stuck my tickets on the shelf next to my bed. Now I can look at them every night before I go to sleep haha. So excited!
oh! that's awesome! if they come to the states and close enough to me, I'd consider seeing them. but I would need your opinion first. though I have a feeling it's going to be something along the lines of, "OMFGIT IS SO GOODlkjasldjflajksdfkhjakfha/freaksout"

I mean really, those dragons just look SO good. they have obviously put some serious time into them.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm not gonna lie, I LOVED that movie. It was so well made and such a great story. If I ever have the opportunity to see this live I would definitely take the opportunity to do so. This looks so awesome.

Falconer

Registered Member
I absolutely third (fourth? fifth?) the opinions here so far. Loved the movie, killer jealous of the fact you get to see it relatively soon... it looks amazing. If they make it all the way to the UK (and you never know -- a few of the Disney on Ice productions have made it all the way to the north-east, as did Cirque's Quidam) I am so booking tickets for gf and I. :D

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Loved the movie too. The puppets look fascinating. I hope they make a good show out of it the way they were able to make a fantastic musicale version of the Lion King movie. Let us know how it goes.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Okay so tonight was the world premiere of this show. Vecoli and I went up to see it. We even took a photo of us outside to show you.

And it was cancelled...

It was supposed to start at 7pm, and at 6:45pm they announced that tonight's show had been cancelled due to technical difficulties. It was pretty chaotic there for a while. There were literally thousands of people who had all just found out the news. Kids were crying everywhere, and hundreds of people were lining up trying to get new tickets.

We lined up for about 35 or so minutes and managed to get tickets for tonight's show. So if all goes according to plan we should still be going to the first ever show. I'm not really angry about the whole thing, I just feel more upset for the people who worked on the show. This must be terrible for them. Years in the making all led up to this night and they just couldn't get it to work.

Also, for anyone who is interested, I thought I'd post these pics. Comparison pics of Toothless and Hiccup in the film and in the show.