• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion How to tell your parents you've converted...(to any religion)

My father is Catholic and my mother is Orthodox, but I have recently converted to another religion.
I have yet to tell them but in the interest of truth, I want to.
I've always found it difficult to talk to them about this stuff, especially my father who is a very traditional Catholic.
So my question is; How do you tell your parents you've converted?
How would you go about this touchy subject?
Think hypothetical if you must or tell your own personal story.
I would be open to any and all advice...

Thanks,
NoLaughinginHeven

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Since they are already two different religions maybe they will be understanding about you wanting to be a different one. If they are going to take it badly they are going to do so no matter how you tell them. If you don't tell them will the find out anyway? If so it would be better if they found out from you.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I never really converted, as I don't follow any particular organized religion, but my spiritual beliefs are pretty different than my mother's. We never really talked about it; she knows I don't go to church and I figure she's pretty disappointed about that. I wish she knew how at peace I am, but it's difficult to bring it up.

so I guess that's what I would suggest to you - tell them that you found something that makes you feel whole and at peace, and even though it's different from what they believe, you hope they can be happy for you.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I didn't convert so much as lose my faith. I just said that I wouldn't be going to church any more because I no longer believed, because there are things in the Bible that don't make sense to me.

I think it also helped that I was willing to discuss things with my dad, brothers, former pastor, etc.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I would suggest making the conversation as matter of fact as possible. If you're fearful when you tell them, then it will make their reactions greater to it. If it were me, I wouldn't have a serious sit down with them and say...I know you won't like this, but I've subscribed to ______ religion.

I would just casually bring it up if or when they brought something up about religion. I would just say, lately I've been studying _______ and I find that I really identify with it.

To clear a few things up, my new faith is completely different from the beliefs of my parents.
I'd like to point out that in the eyes of my father, my mother believes the same things as him. But in something’s she does differ and I know she doesn't like to point that out much.
My new faith believes in the acceptance of every faith, but I know in my heart that no matter how open to other people my father can be at times, he can also be just as bigoted.
I can already hear my father badly quoting scripture "Have no false gods before you" etc.
I think my mother would accept it, but I know inside she'd be a little disappointed.
I hope they understand but I doubt they will.

Wade8813

Registered Member
To clear a few things up, my new faith is completely different from the beliefs of my parents.
I'd like to point out that in the eyes of my father, my mother believes the same things as him. But in something’s she does differ and I know she doesn't like to point that out much.
My new faith believes in the acceptance of every faith, but I know in my heart that no matter how open to other people my father can be at times, he can also be just as bigoted.
I can already hear my father badly quoting scripture "Have no false gods before you" etc.
I think my mother would accept it, but I know inside she'd be a little disappointed.
I hope they understand but I doubt they will.
That's actually a fairly accurate quote from your dad, and wouldn't mean he's bigoted if he feels that way (unless you mean he feels that way and he's also bigoted).

Are there other differences between your faith and your dad's?