How to stay focused longer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Godfather, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Godfather

Godfather Guest

I can't do it. Whether I'm writing a long essay or study for a long test, which means a long study session, I just cannot stay focus for more than hour. Even before I had all these things in my life that just distracts me as I do these past few months, I was like this. Although it is not killing my vocation or anything, but it just make my assignments much longer.

any tips?

2. merob

merob Boom!

just do what you have to do. tell yourself not to stop.
    I think we all hit that wall, where it seems almost impossible to get things done. Usually it's just lazyness. Fight it.
    I'm the king of lazy, but lately i've learned to ignore it.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Procrastination may help you, but it's risky.

I believe that there are people who collapse under the pressure of finishing things last minute, while others are spurred by the fact that it's due very soon.
    If you can't force yourself to finish things early, then maybe you should start a reasonable time later. Maybe the fact that you're out of time will get you focused.

4. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Mmmm.... Lesbians.

Argh, I think I have the same problem. I definitely have a procrastination problem. I'm a notorious procrastinator.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I had the same problem when I was in high school, I never did any home work, because I was always telling myself there's something better to do, like watch television, internet, sports and hanging with friends. It was really hard, but what I did was I went to place where I really liked and that I knew that I couldn't get distracted there, and finished my work.

6. Illosophee

Illosophee Guest

Today, I was studying for a test with a girl in my AP Language & Composition class. We had a test for AP US History. She was tellng me to focus, but all I did was talk to her about random stuff, like "What were you doing yesterday?" and "Have you ever been to that new liquor store?" She finally gave in and we began talking for the rest of the class period... She's pretty sexy. I'm positive I passed that test, though.
    My point is: I don't focus much.. Sometimes I even fall asleep in class (as I did in Psychology class), but when it comes to work, I never fail... Unless we're talking about math. I suck at that..

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Have you tried taking breaks? There is a certain amount of time the average person can stay focused on something before loosing that focus. If you take breaks, you might be able to keep that focus for longer.

8. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Mmmm.... Lesbians.

The average person can only stay focused for 7 minutes long.

9. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

Get in a room where nothing that u like is in it to distract u, or u can get a study group either way it's something that can keep focus. I have the same problem, I mean the work is easy and I can finish it in a snap what can I say I'm a whiz kid, BUT, because of that fact it takes me forever to finish the work because I don't want to do it ><;

10. lavoidgaskins

lavoidgaskins Registered Member

Did you ever try to remove any distractions that may distract you? If you know that having your cell phone with you or some thing turn it off. If you know that there is a game on TV that you want to watch, tape it. Basically just try to clear any thing out of your mind that may cause distraction.