How to say formally?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
How to say formally these words/sentences?

- For example, when there's a formal invitation and you want to inform someone about a meeting.
Do you say "To acknowledge" or "To inform" or we say just "Informing Mr. ..... or Sir..." ?

- How do you say "You are chosen/selected to be as one of the .... " more formally?

- How do you say formally "you have the status of the co-organizer/sponsor in this meeting"
------
Also, do we say "Mr. Director John" or Director "Mr. John" ?
Or do we use SIR in this case?

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
How to say formally these words/sentences?

- For example, when there's a formal invitation and you want to inform someone about a meeting.
Do you say "To acknowledge" or "To inform" or we say just "Informing Mr. ..... or Sir..." ?
"This is to inform you" is a standard formal beginning. If you were bearing good news and wanted to sound slightly more cordial, you could alternately say, "It is my pleasure to inform you..."

- How do you say "You are chosen/selected to be as one of the .... " more formally?
Ideally, "You have been selected as one of the..."

- How do you say formally "you have the status of the co-organizer/sponsor in this meeting"
"You will hold the status of co-organizer/sponsor at this meeting..."

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Thank you very much Tucker. You always help me.

I have a few more.

How to express formally:

- " For the ongoing and concretization of the will of our company we wish ... " It's like saying we as company have the desire/we wish

- We believe that the representations in the above two events will be available for the presence and appearance of yours.

- For organizing/technical reasons we hope you reply back within month

Unity

Sho.
Staff member
"This is to inform you" is a standard formal beginning. If you were bearing good news and wanted to sound slightly more cordial, you could alternately say, "It is my pleasure to inform you..."

Ideally, "You have been selected as one of the..."

"You will hold the status of co-organizer/sponsor at this meeting..."
I agree with Tucker's choices, but on the last one I'd personally go with "You have been chosen to be co-organizer/sponsor of the meeting." In typical speech, even more formal, people won't say "You will hold the status of" very often in the U.S.

Unity

Sho.
Staff member
How to express formally:

- " For the ongoing and concretization of the will of our company we wish ... " It's like saying we as company have the desire/we wish

- We believe that the representations in the above two events will be available for the presence and appearance of yours.

- For organizing/technical reasons we hope you reply back within month
1. "For the betterment of our company" or "As a company, we would hope that..."? I'm not sure.

2. Sorry, but I'm not too sure of what you mean in the second one.

3. With the last one, in the case of an RSVP, you don't have to explain why you want them to reply promptly. They should know already that it's required to do so. You can go with "Please reply within a month," or what is more standard is "Please reply by [date]."

Hope my perspective helps at least a little!
------
Thanks Dan.

I have one more.

- With good will to establish cooperation between our institutions we invite you..
With that statement, people will often say

"In the spirit of good will and cooperation, we invite you..."

Also possible would be the replacement of "in the spirit of" with "In order to promote" or "For the sake of."

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
1. "For the betterment of our company" or "As a company, we would hope that..."? I'm not sure.
This is to say "to make our wish/will real.."
2. Sorry, but I'm not too sure of what you mean in the second one.
I meant to say "if you take part in those events, this would be highly appreciated"

With the last one, in the case of an RSVP, you don't have to explain why you want them to reply promptly. They should know already that it's required to do so. You can go with "Please reply within a month," or what is more standard is "Please reply by [date]."
Those how have to reply need to know that they should give an answer as soon as possible. "Please, reply within a moth" is ok but it's too short and too informal. :)

Unity

Sho.
Staff member
This is to say "to make our wish/will real.."

I meant to say "if you take part in those events, this would be highly appreciated"

Those how have to reply need to know that they should give an answer as soon as possible. "Please, reply within a moth" is ok but it's too short and too informal. :)
I'm still not sure of what to say on the first part.

For the second, you could go with "Your participation in these events would be much appreciated."

For the third one, I'd just say that sometimes professionalism is more about being to the point than it is about being wordy or providing long sentences. If you'd like, you could start with a short sentence like "Please reply by ______" or "Please reply within a month." You could follow with a second sentence going something like this: "Your punctual (or timely) response is required and will be very appreciated by the company."

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Also, do we say "Mr. Director John" or Director "Mr. John" ?
Or do we use SIR in this case?
Best etiquette calls for "Mr. Director," "Sir," or "Mr. Director, Sir," whenever you address him directly. When formally introducing him, the full "Mr. Director John" is appropriate.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I'm still not sure of what to say on the first part.
LOL. How do you say formally "I want this to become real, I want to make my desire come true, we as a company want this to happen"

The rest of your answers sounds pretty good. Thanks.
------
Best etiquette calls for "Mr. Director," "Sir," or "Mr. Director, Sir," whenever you address him directly. When formally introducing him, the full "Mr. Director John" is appropriate.
Yeah, makes sense.

Also, what verb tense do you use when saying "there will be held this meeting.." or this meeting is going to be held in Tirana
when referring to future?

Last edited: