• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics How to salute (Obama and military respect)

dDave

V.I.P.
I think Obama needs training in how to respect the military. I get it, the guy is busy, but these men and women that serve us in the armed forces deserve some real respect from the President (and everyone else).

Video: Critics are calling Obama

How hard is it to salute properly?

This is how a real salute looks.

I have friends in the armed forces that feel very strongly that Obama does not respect them. (comparably, they believe that Bush definitely did respect them)

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
If we're going to talk about not respecting the military, then we should probably talk about shipping them off to war and not taking care of them when they return, which pretty much every president (and most of America, for that matter) is guilty of.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've got friends and family that say the same thing.

It seems like the Commander of the Military cares more about a crack-ho than the most proficient sniper in American history:
Kris Kyle: snopes.com: Chris Kyle and Whitney Houston

...and more about a rapper than the members of Seal Team 6 that helped him get re-elected:
Confirmed: Obama Sent Form Letters to Families of Fallen SEALs …Update: Bush Comforted Troops | The Gateway Pundit

...more about an American deserter than a Marine rotting in Mexico:
Andrew Tahmooressi's Imprisonment Is Something We Should Be Ashamed Of | The American Spectator

:confused:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've got friends and family that say the same thing.

It seems like the Commander of the Military cares more about a crack-ho than the most proficient sniper in American history:
Kris Kyle: snopes.com: Chris Kyle and Whitney Houston

...and more about a rapper than the members of Seal Team 6 that helped him get re-elected:
Confirmed: Obama Sent Form Letters to Families of Fallen SEALs …Update: Bush Comforted Troops | The Gateway Pundit

...more about an American deserter than a Marine rotting in Mexico:
Andrew Tahmooressi's Imprisonment Is Something We Should Be Ashamed Of | The American Spectator

:confused:
I don't really care much about his salute. True as a civilian, even though he is the Commander-in-Chief, he doesn't have to salute, either salute or don't. As I said though, that doesn't bother me much.

These examples DO bother me however. Caring more about a deserter than Tahmooressi bothers me. Caring more about Michael Brown than fallen SEALS bothers me. Caring more about Whitney Houston that Chris Kyle bothers me. It's disgusting. The moral equivalency bothers me as well. I don't care what anyone did in the past, they aren't president anymore.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
How hard is it to salute properly?

This is how a real salute looks.

I have friends in the armed forces that feel very strongly that Obama does not respect them. (comparably, they believe that Bush definitely did respect them)
A picture is worth a thousand words.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In all fairness: 1) the dog came running up to Bush as he disembarked and he stopped to pick him up; 2) he had him in his left hand while saluting with his right; 3) If Bush was one of the worst presidents ever pointing out Obama doing the same thing as Bush doesn't speak well for Obama. If this is "Change" I hate to see what homeostasis looks like.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
CO, I'm not defending Obama by any means. But when the OP says that a bad salute shows that Obama doesn't respect the military, and then goes on to say that Bush did respect the military and shows a picture of Bush giving a proper salute, it is worth pointing out that Bush did not always give proper salutes. The entire premise of the thread loses credibility when it is basically saying "Obama should be more like Bush in this way."

Can we just agree that saluting with a cup of coffee is disrespectful, just as saluting with a dog in your hands is as well? I mean, this "controversy" is about as dumb as the selfie at the funeral thing was. Is there nothing else going on in the world to talk about? It's not like there's a war to talk about. Or an Ebola crisis. Or Russia. Nope, let's focus on the pointless things instead! God, this is why I hate partisan news media so much. And the people who buy into this crap are just completely delusional and help perpetuate the media's shitty reporting.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It is a dumb controversy. Anyone that's seen 30 seconds of Obama at West Point knows that the relationship between the Commander-In-Chief and military is icy cold. You didn't need this to prove anything.
Also, everybody has had a bad day and unintentionally been disrespectful. Stuff happens. If you watch the video, it looks like he was trying to get as far away as possible from Michelle like she'd been bitch'n at him about something and just wasn't thinking. I understand that too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MenInTights Politics & Law 5
Blur General Discussion 1
Hilander Politics & Law 5
Hilander Politics & Law 2
K NBA 0