How to pump up your feedback rating and stay within the rules

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by MenInTights, Apr 24, 2005.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

It occured to me that there may be some people that need a higher rating. The 10 and 50 are the big ones if I remember right. At 10 you can do dutch auctions and at 50 you can??? Do something else, I think..

Anyway a few weeks ago, I bought a gmail account off of ebay for .05(gmail accounts are invite only). In the invite, the seller kindly reminded me that the auction cost him .40 and he would apprieciate positive feedback.

If you sell something that is really nothing and advertise that you need feedback, eBay is going to come down on you. But, this auction remains in the rules. And, you can get rid of 10 gmail accounts in a day.

If you need a gmail account, you can either buy one on eBay or PM me.

2. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

I guess I don't like this. To me feedback is earned and it would really bug me to buy from someone who basically bought their feedback (and I've seen auctions where you can do this)........JMHO......

BTW what's gmail?

3. MenInTights

I'm about 85% there with you. I guess there are special situations where you need 1 or 2 more to get to dutch level and this would be cheaper than buying 2 shirts.

gmail is google's email system. As far as webmail goes, it's really good.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I think the eBay feedback needs a part that says % of items paid for, and the total amount of $ you have spent on eBay. It would be something that people could make private with their feedback, as usual, but I think that would give people more of an idea what kind of buyer the person is.

I have about 50 feedback on my other account, and 4 on my crazy auction account (lol). So far all have been somewhat expensive transactions.

5. MenInTights

You should suggest that to eBay. Good idea.

6. MJonesMBA2001

MJonesMBA2001 Registered Member

I also think that ebay needs to add a function where you can search a seller's feedback to list only the negative responses. If someone has a few negative feedbacks but hundreds of positives, it sucks to scan through them all. And many times if there are a lot of good feedbacks but only one or two negative, it's a disgruntled person, and you can obviously tell.

7. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

YES! That is a total PIA to do! Work on that will ya? :D

Good idea! Great actually. Granted you can look up what they have boughten in the last however many days but how many people are going to take the time to do that? There does need to be more info than just the feedback left. The only problem with this idea is if you are only a seller or a large part of your feedback is from selling. I have 278 (really 340 if you count the duplicate buyers/sellers....which still stinks that those don't count)! and that is only a fraction because of no feedback left. Yup some of those weren't cheap either! About 1/3 of that is from selling.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  8. mom_of_sixoxo

mom_of_sixoxo Registered Member

here's my 2 cents:
    1. you might think you want those high feedbacks, but do you realize that if you get it up there with the powersellers it's just like giving the irs a red flag to have a good look at you... -if i ever get too high, i will close it out & start over!
    2. also, in my experience, i have more problems with those high-volume sellers than the smaller ones - they don't really care as much about customer service, make more mistakes filling orders, and know that your feedback is just a drop in the bucket too...
    3. i have a few ebay accounts, to keep separate what i buy from what i sell mainly, but also sometimes to "hide" xmas shopping etc. from snooping kids, spouse etc.
    4. i would absolutely be in big doo-doo if my hubby could see at a glance what i've spent on ebay over the years!! I don't even want to know!
    5. I sorta agree about the negs mixed all through there -- but you can see at a glance how many there were in the last year, and if it is just one or two negs in a pile of good ones, you can pretty much bet it's not worth your curiosity to bother with coz it's probably due to the moron crowd...
    6. but i do think that it would be nice if the seller & buyer feedbacks were separate...tho you can get sort of an idea of that, by looking at feedback they LEFT too.
    ok maybe that's 6 cents ;)

ummm, i still don't get this gmail thing?? and if it's google's, why/how would you buy it from someone on ebay?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  9. precision

precision Registered Member

Ok, Gmail is a free web based email system, however you have to be invited to join it. You can only be invited to join it by an existing member. If you don't know anybody that will invite you to join, then you can "buy" an invite from somebody on ebay or something....does that help?

10. doubles2004

doubles2004 Registered Member

Well i may be out of line on this one. i would not buy a g-mail acct just to get a feedback. i guess i see ebay differently than others. im not going to buy a bunch of .01 -.99 cent items just to get a feedback rating i like to earn my feedback also getting it for free aint my game