How to Piss Off a Conservative: Free Lemonade

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
There is no 'free' lemonade :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Terry Savage

I was lol'ing so hard reading this entire story and then I realized at the end how pissed I was that this guy was actually serious about his own frustration. Is this guy so brain dead that he thinks instilling the idea of giving is going to ruin this nation? Listen, I'm not being entirely cruel to him. I know and I agree that there's a lot of stuff given away in this country but there's also a lot and I mean a lot of things that are taken at the same time. We've been run by a government (for decades now) that consistently takes from us, the people. Money, freedoms, rights, etc. and we just all watch. What pisses us off? Stupid shit, like what color shirt they wear, what their middle name is, if they're able to speak expertly, their party allegiance, what their wife is wearing. I mean think about it, I'm not wrong here, these are the petty things American voters worry about.

But back on topic.

What is so wrong with teaching kids to share? I highly doubt this sort of experience as a child is going to ruin someone or our economy for that matter. If anything, a lot more people could do with learning a bit more about sharing or working together. Just look at the more recent financial scandals, there's been a lot of really, really greedy motherfuckers in our country these past 10 or so years. No one is preaching free hand outs, this is about teaching kids the concept of sharing their wealth or simply being kind to others.

What are your thoughts on this column? What about "hand outs" in general?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree we've become a society with a handout mentality, but this is just silly. This isn't the government handing anything out with our tax money. This is an individual doing so (saying the items belong to their parents doesn't change that). Bill Gates can give out all the computers he wants, I have no problem with that, and neither should anyone who believes in freedom. Afterall doesn't he have the freedom to do so if he wishes?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
That was partially my thinking as well, who gives a shit if a company wants to do such a thing? It seems Mr. Savage's argument is that if anything is given away, the country will just want more and more. That may be a legitimate argument by some stretch but he's also forgetting that you don't have to keep giving.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
The column was pretty ridiculous, this quote got to me:

His fiancee smiled and commented, "Isn't that cute. They have the spirit of giving."

That really set me off, as my regular readers can imagine.

"No!" I exclaimed from the back seat. "That's not the spirit of giving. You can only really give when you give something you own. They're giving away their parents' things -- the lemonade, cups, candy. It's not theirs to give."
Really? You're going to get set off about kids giving away lemonade? I'm sure they're doing it without their parents' consent...

I think this lady is just particularly an a-hole...I don't think all Conservatives would be so worshipping of economics as to ruin the idea of kids just giving something away because they're sweet.

I do totally disagree with the whole "handout" mentality regarding social welfare programs, but this article is just too far off of base. Like CO said, it doesn't resonate with the topic of welfare programs, it's just people giving away something they want to give away.

And the woman rolled down her window and told the kids they're doing it wrong? Mind your own business, person who shouldn't be employed by a newspaper.

She writes that children think they have a free lunch waiting when they grow up...kids don't think like that, they think of what they want to be and they live in and enjoy their childhoods. Just because you're so hyped about economics and fiscal conservatism doesn't mean that children should all be "little entrepreneurs."

When I was a kid, I wasn't told things one way or the other about politics and government, I just lived my life as a child. That's how it should be. Put your head back in the car, Ms. Savage, and drink your haterade. :nod:

Last edited:

theotherone

Registered Member
I'm a big believer in capitalism but this lady is nuts.

What those kids were doing was totally unrelated to anything she was talking about, in fact, I'd say they were doing EXACTLY what most conservatives I know would support! Most people I know want to be in charge of their livelihood (I'll keep my own paycheck, kthx) but they are also some of the most community oriented, generous people I know - whether it's through time (volunteer work, etc) or literally sharing what they have with friends, family and community - often both.

She has a serious problem, and I'm ashamed that's what most people think of conservatives and people who support capitalism.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
I'm a big believer in capitalism but this lady is nuts.

What those kids were doing was totally unrelated to anything she was talking about, in fact, I'd say they were doing EXACTLY what most conservatives I know would support! Most people I know want to be in charge of their livelihood (I'll keep my own paycheck, kthx) but they are also some of the most community oriented, generous people I know - whether it's through time (volunteer work, etc) or literally sharing what they have with friends, family and community - often both.

She has a serious problem, and I'm ashamed that's what most people think of conservatives and people who support capitalism.
My experience is that most of the liberals and conservatives I know are good, giving people.

People like this writer try to make us forget about that! Our commonalities are greater than our differences in legislative ideals.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What this really boils to is she is advocating for something conservatives don't advocate for, namely that there should be a set price for a given product. Conservatives normally complain when the government institutes price controls and they call for a price of a product to be determines by the open market. In this instance these kids decided the open market price for their lemonade is $0...you can't come back and complain that there should be a minimum price if you object to price controls.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I thought the article was really funny.

This is my theory. The writer grew up resenting people that were handed everything in life. The kids that never had jobs in school and always drove the new cars. So, she see's these kids that she perceives don't understand the value of working hard and are future snobby teenagers and she decides to step in and put a stop to it. But, I could be wrong.