• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How to not manage a government shutodown:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
1. Don't blame the other side for a budget that you should have passed last year.
2. Don't plan a vacation the day after the shutdown. http://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/2011/04/obama-family-may-visit-williamsburg-weekend
3. Do pass the one week extension to keep things going and assures the military gets paid till the end of the year. Eric Cantor || Majority Leader || Blog || Funding Our Troops Is A Distraction?
4. Don't try the Republicans are going to kill seniors and women. People are too smart for that. Nancy Pelosi calls GOP budget 'a war on women' - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

My point right now is not who's to blame so much but I'm surprised at how poorly the Democrats are managing this. Anyone remember the last shutdown? Clinton would come on tv and say "I'm trying so hard to get something done here but these Republicans are just hard headed, but I'm not going to rest until we get this right for the American people."

My thinking is sometime today, possibly even late tonight someone will get Obama's ear and tell him to sign whatever is in front of him, call it a victory and move on. There's no way Obama wins the pr war on this one.

Last edited:

shelgarr

Registered Member
I don't mean to be selfish but we need our unemployment check and our income tax refund!!! Will those be affected?
------
If we do shut down, what happens to all that money that isn't being spent for that time period?

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
From what I understand no tax returns will be processed. The unemployment thing is sketchy, but I believe there will be delays in processing that. I forgot to count the unemployed. There really are a lot of people that will be affected. It probably won't last more than a few days and I still doubt it will happen.

I also caught the first few minutes of Maddow last night. She sent a warning to the Democrat party about a shutdown that I thought was good. There is no face to the Republican party. If Obama gets on tv and blames this on Boehner, most of America will say - Who the hell is that? I think a lot of Dems don't realize that you can't blame this on George Bush and Sara Palin. lol.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Pretty much my thoughts MIT. There is blame to go around but the Dems are handling this is very poor. I hate that "war on poor people" or "war on women" argument. I actually feel embarrassed for people like Pelosi when she makes them.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yes, I saw when Pelosi said that too. She is completely out of touch.

**Written by Doug Powers
On Monday, Nancy Pelosi warned against a devious Republican plot to snuff out the lives of the elderly via a planned starvation that, if allowed to happen and if not for brave Democrats standing firm, would make the siege of Leningrad pale in comparison. Said Pelosi:
“In one of the bills before us, 6 million seniors are deprived of meals — homebound seniors are deprived of meals. People ask us to find our common ground, the middle ground. Is middle ground 3 million seniors not receiving meals? I don’t think so. We’ve got to take this conversation from a debate about numbers and dollar figures and finding middle ground there to the higher ground of national values. I don’t think the American people want any one of those 6 million people to lose their meals or the children who are being thrown off of Head Start and the rest of it.”
At the Washington Post, Glenn Kessler in his “Fact Checker” column breaks down the numbers. Read the whole thing to discover that the source data for Pelosi’s claims came from the busiest agency in Washington, DC: “The Institute for Facts and Figures I Pulled Out of My Butt.”
The conclusion:
In a city with overheated rhetoric, Pelosi’s statement ranks high on this year’s list of bloviated bluster. It’s bad enough that she repeatedly mixed up 6 million meals and 6 million people — and made no effort to correct the record after her statement was reported in the media. But the figure she used appears to have been invented itself, with little basis in fact.
The pro-abortion ex-Speaker likes to speak of of “The Word” and even invoked the Gospel of Matthew to justify continued outrageous levels of government spending. But maybe what she really should spend some time focusing on is the 9th Commandment.
**Written by Doug Powers

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There's something odd about this budget deal. Supposedly there was almost $40B cut from the budget. Can anyone locate any of the spending cuts? I read quite a few articles tonight about it and apart from the DC abortion ban, I can't find anything that was actually cut or reduced.

Maybe I just haven't found a detailed list or maybe no reporter has had a chance to go through it. I just see Reid, Boehner and Obama huddled in the Oval Office and I picture them saying- "Ok, lets go to the mics and announce a $40B cut and we will work out some sort of creative accounting where we actually don't cut a damn thing." It just smells like bullshit to me.

shelgarr

Registered Member
In Face The Nation this morning, there were no specifics provided. Apparently more will come out on monday. From what the guests did reveal it is no changes in Medicare or Social Security, some tax breaks to corporations and middle class, taxing oil/gas companies, and increased taxes on the wealthy. The tea party members trusted Boehner to push with Obama and succeeded with cuts to EPA and PP.

There were a few more details given by Paul Ryan proposals to overhaul medicare. It is giving seniors option to buy with subsidies, move to states the power for services to the poor by "block granting" (not exactly sure what that is). Its said though that states will want the money but not the responsibility to deliver services. A further argument is that by giving money to private sector reduces government leverage to bring down prices.

We'll be able to see more of this on monday, I'm hoping.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm pretty sure they actually did cut stuff, otherwise this wouldn't have gotten approved. All the articles I saw were saying that conservatives won and lost because they got concessions and proved they have clout, but nowhere near what they wanted.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
NationalJournal.com - CBO Says Budget Deal Will Cut Spending by Only $352 Million This Year - Thursday, April 14, 2011

It all was a scam.

A comparison prepared by the CBO shows that the omnibus spending bill, advertised as containing some $38.5 billion in cuts, will only reduce federal outlays by $352 million below 2010 spending rates. The nonpartisan budget agency also projects that total outlays are actually some $3.3 billion more than in 2010, if emergency spending is included in the total.
:mad: