• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Basketball How to fix basketball

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Basketball is by no means broken - it's never been more popular than it is now - but in my opinion it has some serious flaws. I read the other day that Adam Silver wants to eliminate the "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy that a lot of teams employ against poor free throw shooters, and it got me thinking about how I would fix it, as well as a couple of other things that really bog games down in the last few minutes.

1. Fouling shouldn't be beneficial to the team committing the foul. There is a simple way to change this. If a team is in the bonus and they are fouled, give them the option of either shooting two free throws OR keeping possession. Not only would this solve the Hack-a-Shaq problem, but it would also discourage teams from fouling at the end of the game to force the other team to make free throws. I'm sorry, but watching free throw contests is not exciting.

2. Play the advantage, as they do in soccer. In the event of a foul, let play continue if the team being fouled maintains an advantage. For example, on fast breaks when the defending team commits a foul to stop the play.

3. Reduce number of timeouts. Each team gets eight timeouts per game (six full and two 20's). That's ridiculous. They should get no more than three or four for an entire game.

4. Crack down on flopping. I think they already fine players for flopping, but it's still out of control. In the NHL they have an embellishment penalty. Do the same in the NBA. If a player does anything to try to sell a call, give him a technical foul.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
All good suggestions, especially reducing the amount of timeouts. In no way should Basketball games be slowed down so much in crunch time. Players should adjust on their own at the end of the game, this isn't a game of chess.

Unfortunately, the major issue will always remain, and that's the referee making the wrong call. It is what it is...