• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How serious do you take sports

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally, I take them extremely serious. I some time scream at the television after a dumb play, or if the ref/ump makes a bad call.

I'm devastated after my team is eliminated from the playoffs. It takes me a few days to recover from it.

So, how serious do you take sports?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I grew up playing baseball, which became football in middle school and a bit in high school. I love both games and they'll always be important to me. I'm definitely a guy who has had conversations with himself in front of the TV (and with other people in the room). I think I'd go crazy without sports, especially football.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
I used to get more wound up but that was before my teams became uber successful. Now good plays excite me, bad plays still affect me but in about 42 years of watching sports and having played I've grown to realize players are only human and the outcome of a game doesn't define me or my life.

Danno

Registered Member
I take it very seriously both playing and supporting. It's my biggest passion. Football, Ice hockey and baseball and if you're not passionate about winning then what's the point, right?

I can only use my football/soccer team as a best example, Bolton Wanderers. I have been going to watch them all over the country since I was 4 years old. I am 26 now and I wouldn't even want to imagine the money I have spent on them. So when I go and they don't perform well enough, yeah i'll get pretty frustrated, a huge percentage of my life has gone in to supporting them.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I'm one of those guys who's pretty mellow during the regular season when my team is doing well in the standings, but goes crazy after every little thing that goes wrong for them come playoff time.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I take sports more seriously than I should. I'm better about it than I used to be, but I still get pretty annoyed when my team loses, or even when they win but don't play at a high level. I try to keep things in perspective though. In the grand scheme of things, I know sports don't really matter and I should just watch them to have fun.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Sports are only sUUUUUUper cereal when I have a personal connection or something personally invested in the teams outside the game itself. Otherwise..... not so cereal.

Right now....... I have one mission in my "sports fandom" that is sUUUUUUUUUper cereal. It's quite simple.

S.F. Giants must win 2 more championships as quickly as humanly possible. Right now they're being assholes and doing their every even year thing. Whatever. I'm not happy about it, I just want to get them out of the way as quickly as humanly possible.

The A's must never win another championship ever again and be CONTRACTED as soon as possible so that they never do, putting the Giants permanently ahead of them for all of history.

And then there's another really hot team in that same sport that needs to STOOOOOOP STOOOOOOP STOP IT RIGHT NOW YOU NEED TO STOOOOOOOOOOOOP WINNING SO MUCH..... WAIT LIKE 10 YEARS AND THEN YOU CAN WIN AGAIN BUT RIGHT NOW STOOOOOOOOOOP IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Sad. So sad.

Right now, that's all I care about in sports. It's cereal. SUUUUUUUUUUUper cereal.

And in hockey....... meh...... indifferent now. It's all horseshit compared to the supercerealness of those first 3 objectives in the other sport.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I take them more seriously than I'd like to. I used to joke that this past fall during the Jays' postseason run was one of the most stressful times of my life, not only cause I had stress from a new job but also cause I had stress from the Jays' postseason :p

At the end of the day though, there's other non-sports shit that I care far more about than some game(s) that don't impact me directly. For the most part, I actually get more annoyed by know-it-alls on social media bitching and whatnot after losses than I actually do by the losses themselves.

Twitch

Registered Member
Probably not serious enough, considering I'm from the Boston area. I really only care about the Red Sox and the Patriots, and the latter only when they're in the playoffs. Although if I'm watching a game I can get invested.

I piss one of my buddies off a bunch because he's a huge Devils fan, and I couldn't care less about hockey. I'll tease when the Bruins win and say I don't care when they lose.