How scripted is professional wrestling?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have my theories but I don't know for sure. What do you guys think.

My theory is that they do not know who is going to win going into each match, but that certain rules and procedures must be followed if a contestant performs a certain move. Things like letting them throw you off the ropes, etc. Things that they practice both the offensive and defensive positions for in order to prevent injury.

That's what I'd LIKE to believe. Something tells me that the winners are decided in advance and that it certainly isn't a good thing to place bets on. I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread is going to be like discovering Santa Claus isn't real all over again for some people... :lol:

What are your thoughts and/or theories on this?

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The matches are pre-determined...I am 100% sure of this Hybrix...sorry man. If you need a minute to catch your breath or cry or something then this is your chance. I'll wait...

Waiting...

waiting..

Alright you okay now? haha. They have writers, bookers, whatever you want to call them that write the script for each live telecast, PPV, or house show (non-televised event). There is a ton of adlib but three things are certain.

Performers know the outcome
They know how the match will finish
They know how much time they have to have the match

Sometimes opponents will go over every detail of the match beforehand and some will go over big spots (unique or harder moves, if you will). And then there are others who will just wing it...they'll know the 3 things I mentioned and thats it. They react to the crowd and whats working. You'll see guys talking to each other in the ring and thats to make sure they are both on the same page throughout.

So with that said it very much so is scripted...sometimes how much is scripted is various from guy to guy.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
They always know who's going to win before the match starts. Most of the moves are whispered in the guys ear during the match. The wrestlers also talk to each other before the match starts so they can get an idea of what to do.

But sometimes stuff are improvised, if something goes wrong, or someone gets injured or someone botches a move, then these wrestlers have to make something up and quick. Their usually really good at doing it.

A lot of times you'll have only one wrestler carrying the match, because the other one is bad. The wrestler that carries the match usually calls the shots and makes the other guy look good.

I knew wrestling was scripted a long time ago, so I won't be like this guy.

YouTube - It's Still Real To Me Dammit

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oh, no surprise there. Like I said, I had my idea of what I LIKE to believe, but in the end I am not surprised if there's a little bit more going on in the back rooms that isn't really advertised. :lol:

Seriously though, why do you think they script it? Don't the wrestlers know enough about the moves and the techniques that if a rule book was followed, unscripted matches could be a reality?

Or are the moves too extreme and too risky to do in an actual competitive environment?

One thing is for sure, some people have died during professional wrestling matches, so there is still room for "accidents" and whatnot... :shake:

I mean, if there were no rules to follow, and no common sense scripting for the sake of flow I think we'd see a lot more stuff like this:

YouTube - dumb wrestlers

Dude.. what's wrong? :shifteyes:
:lol:

YouTube - Backyard Wrestling Roof Jump Video

I hate to lol, but... LOL! :lol:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
A RAW script was recently leaked online. It's very informative with regard to your question. And yes, some matches are decided months in advance. It's a display of skill and a stage play and the blood is 100% real, but actual combat it is not. Pro wrestling IS, however, a true and often vicious challenge of the highest order. If you know what to look for behind the scenes, if you see how these people kill themselves (and sometimes backstab each other) to get or keep a slot on a roster there's no denying the fact that a good bit of competitive spirit is essential for successin the business. One man falls, two rise up to claim his place, and the victor is determined by the roar of the crowd. It's like the gladiator days, only not so hard on the Christians.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oh, no surprise there. Like I said, I had my idea of what I LIKE to believe, but in the end I am not surprised if there's a little bit more going on in the back rooms that isn't really advertised. :lol:

Seriously though, why do you think they script it? Don't the wrestlers know enough about the moves and the techniques that if a rule book was followed, unscripted matches could be a reality?

Or are the moves too extreme and too risky to do in an actual competitive environment?

One thing is for sure, some people have died during professional wrestling matches, so there is still room for "accidents" and whatnot... :shake:
Okay firstly, ouch and wow to those videos. I admit I lol while watching but its not funny...those kids are seriously retarded. I admit I did fake wrestling with my brother and some friends growing up but nothing that stupid. Geez.

When you ask why they script it do you mean the outcome? They are out there to put on a show...I cant imagine what it would be like if they didnt know who was going to win and they did it for real.

Some moves are VERY Risky and could cause permanate damage to themselves or someone else. It takes a lot of practice to master the majority of the moves. I think its just safer to do it the way they do. MMA is different because its competition...WWE is for show.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The match itself is not really scripted, they have an idea of what they want to do, but they change most of it. Guys like HBK, Undertaker, HHH ect. all come up with stuff during the match. Yes, you hear wrestlers whispering in wrestlers ear to say what's going to happen, but that's because they don't want the other opponent to look foolish, or do something wrong. They have to know what their going to do before they do it, or else it's going to look stupid and wrong.

But when you wrestle a wrestler for ten years or so, around 50 times a year, you tend to know how he works in the ring.

That's why I like the difference between fake and scripted. When you use fake, it seems to me that you think everything going on is fake -- including the bodily injuries. Scripted just has a different feel and I feel that is the proper one to use when talking about pro-wrestling.

Even though the matches are pre-determined and wrestlers know if they're going to lose or not doesn't mean that all the injuries are fake. Even I wouldn't want to get power bombed on the mat, or have a DDT, or a top rope suplex happen to me. Let alone a botch that causes even more serious injuries (broken neck, leg, ect..). Even the slightest bit of pain makes me cringe. >.<;

Anthony1975

Registered Member
The referees have the earpieces in also so if something needs changing like Vince wanting the match to end then they relay the message to the Wrestlers.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ok, I could not stop laughing at those video's, what a bunch of morons:lol:

The really good wrestlers are good at reacting to the crowd and are able to ad lib very well during the match. I agree with Tuck, it's very much like the Gladiator days.