• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How safe are US schools?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Residents of Boston’s North Shore suburbs were struggling to absorb the news Wednesday that Danvers High School math teacher Colleen Ritzer was murdered, and that a 14-year-old male student has been charged.

Two teachers killed this week: How safe are US schools? (+video) - CSMonitor.com
Within a day of each other two teachers were murdered by a student then add all the other school shootings together there seem to be many deaths at school. It would seem that schools aren't all that safe but the director of the National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement says they are.

Maybe they are still considered safe but until Columbine I don't remember hearing about school shootings or teachers being murdered like I have since then. I really don't think they are as safe as they use to be.

I was wondering what you thought about this?

Map: School shootings in the United States | Reno Gazette-Journal | rgj.com

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think our children are more fragile than ever before and to be honest, I think it's because we don't listen to them. As Marilyn Manson famously said about the Columbine killers when asked what he would do if he could speak with them (since America stupidly felt he should be blamed for some reason), he said he wouldn't speak, he would just listen since nobody else did.

We laugh and joke about being a kid and how it's always 'kids being kids' but when we have children shooting up schools (not a new phenomena by the way) then it says a lot about pain kids are feeling and not dealing with. We forget how much it sucks to be a kid and how evil these little shits can be towards each other. Now, if you weren't part of this recent generation, imagine dealing with the joys of being a preteen/teenager and pair it with the ease of insulting and isolation that social media has brought us and it makes for a really tough time.

It also makes it really easy to be heard. Kids know they'll be heard if they make enough noise like a lot of adults who enact violence to get their pain or messages out.

We need to stop medicating, coddling and protecting our children from imaginary demons and listen to them. We need to allow them to vent, to encourage them to talk to their parents or at least counselors. We all hurt, we all have pain but when you do not teach a generation how to properly cope you set up a dangerous scenario.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
US does have more school shootings than anywhere else in the world I believe. Obviously it doesn't have more total gun deaths or anything than a war-torn country but it does have the most school shootings. I often wonder why so many people target schools there.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
Where I live, there haven't been any school shootings so far. However, back in 1999, there was some kid who called himself trying to play a bomb threat prank on the intermediate school I attended. He was arrested and expelled.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think our children are more fragile than ever before and to be honest, I think it's because we don't listen to them. As Marilyn Manson famously said about the Columbine killers when asked what he would do if he could speak with them (since America stupidly felt he should be blamed for some reason), he said he wouldn't speak, he would just listen since nobody else did.

We laugh and joke about being a kid and how it's always 'kids being kids' but when we have children shooting up schools (not a new phenomena by the way) then it says a lot about pain kids are feeling and not dealing with. We forget how much it sucks to be a kid and how evil these little shits can be towards each other. Now, if you weren't part of this recent generation, imagine dealing with the joys of being a preteen/teenager and pair it with the ease of insulting and isolation that social media has brought us and it makes for a really tough time.

It also makes it really easy to be heard. Kids know they'll be heard if they make enough noise like a lot of adults who enact violence to get their pain or messages out.

We need to stop medicating, coddling and protecting our children from imaginary demons and listen to them. We need to allow them to vent, to encourage them to talk to their parents or at least counselors. We all hurt, we all have pain but when you do not teach a generation how to properly cope you set up a dangerous scenario.
I... actually agree.

So many of the problems facing today's youth are caused because they feel as if they are uncared for. One of the best ways to make someone feel valued is to listen to them.

I agree that we need to stop medicating and all that other crap, it's not fixing the problem. What we really need is for older generations to start investing in younger generations as well as for those in the younger generations to actually care for one another. There has been this certain failure on a massive scale to invest in the youth and we've been seeing the effects of it for years. We've seen a rise in bullying and it just leaves people hurting in the end (even the bullies)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was a stay at home mom and as being one it allowed me the time to give the school hell if I thought my son was being mistreated. It also gave me the time to get involved in his activities at school and know his friends. Plus it gave me the time to listen to what he had to say. I made it clear to the school it they were in the wrong I would be on their ass about it and if my son was in the wrong I would equally be on his ass.

Anymore there are many one parent families that don't have that luxury and computers are raising their kids. They get bullied at school then it continues online or they are the ones doing the bullying. Mom or Dad is working all the time, or partying, so they never hear about it until the bomb drops and someone commits suicide or kills someone. No communication.