• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How phones changed social interaction

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
There was an interesting thread in one of the forums I read from time to time and the OP was ranting about people with smart phones (he singled out iPhones a lot but I think it applies to all smart phones) and their behavior. Others, with iPhones, of course thought he was just being rude and not acknowledging the value of an iphone. I get his point though, he wasn't ranting about the phone itself. I think smartphones are up there, with the whole social media thing, slowly depersonalising our interaction with people around us. Yes, quantity wise you're more connected. Quality wise, that's not often the case.

I own a smartphone (BB) and yes, it can be an addiction. You take someone's phone, they feel naked and lacking. Heck, even just take out internet from it for a day (or even few minutes!), and it is enough to have withdrawal symptoms. Some probably don't realise how much they are slaves to their phones these days. I mean there's this "itch" to respond to its calling or you feel uneasy. With old phones, it's like ignoring when someone is calling you. With smartphones though, you get "called" even by the most trivial things like FB notifications of someone commenting on a wall post of your friend you commented on.

Your phone beeps and you wanna attend to it as if afraid to be rude to the phone if you ignore it. But most of your beeps aren't actual phone calls, they're notifications from FB or twitter or random txts. Not that I mean to make txts less significant than phone calls but you have to admit, ever since "unlimited texting" people don't reallly put enough effort into their texts. You txt any insignificant thing, every thought, every fart, every burp, coz it's free! Whereas before, if you knew a single txt would cost you a dollar, for example, you wouldn't see a thread conversation where one simply "lols" and "haha". People only text when there's something really significant to text about and they even pretty much cram all the things in one text and even remove unnecessary words/letters (not grammatically speaking) just to make sure the significant words/ideas get through in the least amount of text possible.

That said, I don't dislike smart phones at all. I think they're great and very useful. And they entertain a lot especially if you're alone or with someone you can't find anything else to talk about. It's like the weather, a point of conversation (oh look at my apps). What I dislike is just the way it changed people to completely rely on it to the point of not being more sensitive about it when they're with other people. Since you're always connected to something, you feel it's a valid "other person" you have to attend to when you're with someone else. And giving attention to it, takes away your attention from the person/s you're actually with (be it when you're out on a date, or hanging out with friends, or even business meetings). That sucks.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
What you say is true. It's a lack of respect typing on your smartphone, checking out facebook while the other person at your table is talking to you. I've had many people do that to me and to others. I never do it myself because I know how it feels to ignore the person infront of you.
It's just that people cannot control the impact a smartphone has on them. They get lost into it that they don't even call you on your birthday to wish you. They just send you a wish on Facebook and that's it.
When I was at a judicial hearing a few days ago, and during the process, a lawyer standing next to me couldn't stop checking out twitter/fb through his iPhone.
It was just ridiculous to watch.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I had a convo about this with my friend and he said that technology nowadays is racing ahead faster thean morality, ethics and even common sense.

Because of the ubiquity of smartphones in our society nowadays, people's ideas of social context are changing. In the end it seems that technology is owning us instead of vice-versa.