How old is your computer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mirage, Jan 30, 2009.

?

1. 1-6 months

29.6%
  2. 6 months to 1 year

3.7%
  3. 1-2 years

11.1%
  4. 2-3 years

33.3%
  5. 3-4 years

11.1%
  6. 4-5 years

3.7%
  7. 5-6 years

3.7%
  8. 6-7 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 7-8 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 8 or more years

3.7%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

If you've upgraded it then use your own judgment. If it was a RAM upgrade then I'd just go with the purchase date (if it was new when you bought it). If you upgraded the motherboard and CPU then you could definitely say it was "new" the day you did that.

So, how old is yours? Mine is probably about 2 years old. I've noticed that it's still comparable in specs to some of the cheaper new computers.

I won't upgrade it or build a new one for at least a year, if not longer.

I would like to SLI my video card though if I can find a duplicate card with the same specs.

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Depends on the parts lol

New MB and processor about 3 months ago, memory maybe a year, box itself 5-8 years, hard drives a couple years, power supply a couple years, case fans I'm replacing regularly most recent back in December, CDR and CDRW same age as the box.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well as I said in the OP, I consider the Motherboard and CPU to be the main indicators of the computers age. Hard drives and RAM really haven't changed enough in the past 5 years even to put a date on them.

Video card could maybe come into play as well but even those haven't gotten a ton better in the past 5 years unless you are using it for gaming. Just for normal use you could have a 5 year old video card and be just fine.

4. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Mine is 3 years old.

In that time I've added 1 gig RAM, a graphic card, sold that one, bought a ATI Radeon 9950 graphic card, bought a new monitor, added a DVD writer, replaced the damn DVD writer...

Hell, for all that work done I could've bought new tower!

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I had a major upgrade last September. That would be about 5 months ago.

Everything in the tower new except for the case and the DVD drive.... & I formatted my old HDD and put that in as a slave.

The new machine should keep me good for 3-5 years with no need for an upgrade(maybe graphics! but probably not).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

I've had this one for about 2/3 years now. A Dell Dimension E520. Before this I had a Gateway for about 9/10 years. I much prefer the Dell. Although the Gateway was a good computer and served my needs well. I was sorry to get rid of it. I wrote a lot of good stories on that machine.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Mine is an acer, I cant tell you much more than that. It's a laptop, and I've had it for two or three years now. I believe it's time for me to get a new one.

8. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Mine is about 2 and half years old.

9. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

My computer is made out of lots of different parts, I don't think anything in it was made before 2004 though. I am definitely not happy with my computer and am always looking for something to make it better.

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Around 5 or 6 months old. Received a completely new one from my grandfather and nan as an early birthday gift when my roughly 4 or 5 year old eMachines PC decided it no longer wanted to work.