• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How old is too old to rock?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
New York Times Magazine cover had Mick Jagger on there last week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/t-magazine/5well-mick-dek.html?_r=2&ref=holiday-issue

Earlier this year, Keith Richards indicated in his autobiography that the Stones will be back on tour within the next couple of years. Probably playing to soldout arenas, like usual.

In other professions, 40, 50, 60, 70 even, isn't considered old. Clint Eastwood is in his 80s and making classic movies.

Is there a way to age gracefully, music wise, and have the same sort of 50-year career you could put together in any other profession? Sixty-seven isn't all that old. But it seems ancient when you do what he does, and when you were so famous so young.

Thoughts?

Impact

V.I.P.
I think as long as they're still selling out shows and putting on a good performance, then they aren't too old to rock. When the performance starts to suffer because of age related problems, such as being unable to move around the stage due to back difficulties, or not being able to play the guitar well because of arthritis, then they should stop. Until then, all the more power to them.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think that Mick and Keef and Bruce are establishing the fact that there is no such thing as too old to rock.

Raos

Registered Member
I don't think there is such a thing as too old to rock. I think Mick just looks so rough compared to what he looked like in his earlier years that he seems so old. Look at someone like BB King. He is 85 and still playing like he was a kid. Mick seems older to me than BB King, but only because of looks.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Good call on BB King, Raos. Buddy Guy is 74 and still rocking, too. I don't think there is such thing as too old to rock. It's inspiring to me.

Dabs

Registered Member
Willie Nelson is 77..and he's still rocking on..well.....he's more country, but he's got the mo-jo happening.
Might be his pot smoking helping him too tho ~LoL~
Mick Jagger does look rough.....but hey, they sound good...I say let'em go for it, they still have an abundance of fans!
Steven Tyler is aging, but he doesn't look too bad..but Jon Bon-Jovi, damn!....he doesn't appear to have aged at all~

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'd like to say yes to Mick Jagger, for that laughable Super Bowl performance a few years back. But really, like you've already said, if he's still selling out concerts & selling a good amount of CDs, then who am I to say he's too old?

Bon Jovi cut himself to look like that. Haha.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Never. Well... not past 80. That's just weird.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Willie Nelson is 77..and he's still rocking on..well.....he's more country, but he's got the mo-jo happening.
Yeah but willie nelseon is so old he can't even tune his guitar. Oh wait, its never been tuned. D:

But if a rocker is getting arthritis and going (tone) deaf, then I think they need to stop.... But otherwise, all power to them

Raos

Registered Member
But if a rocker is getting arthritis and going (tone) deaf
Tone deafness is generally not something that happens with age. You are either tone deaf or you are not. If you are not tone deaf then age generally will not bring on an onset.