• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How often do you call in sick?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Have you had many sick days this year? Were you genuinely ill every time?

I believe I have only had half a day off this year. I had a stomach bug and told my manager I'd try and come in during the afternoon. I always feel so guilty leaving the team in the lurch, even though I'm genuinely ill.
Anyway, my manager ended up texting me asking if I was coming in and I felt pressured. I felt so rough but I went in to work anyway.

Iceman

Registered Member
I might have called in sick once this year. I don't remember if I did or not. I know I had to miss work once because I got in a serious car accident but I was back the next day.

I think there are very few good reasons to skip out on work. Where I work, being sick is one of the worst excuses to take the day off. Restaurants and stuff like that, you shouldn't work if you're sneezing and blowing your nose all the time. But if you work at a computer, so what if you have to wipe your nose every few minutes?

SuiGeneris

blue 3
As a manager, I can't really "call in sick." If I am too sick to work I'll normally talk to another one of my managers and arrange things so I take one of their shifts and they take the one I need off. I need this a few weeks ago. I came into work for our manager meeting (I was scheduled to close), however, I had to run to the bathroom and puke every 10-30 minutes so I changed shifts with someone. We all get our 40 hours and protect eachother's hours too. It's pretty cool

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I've never called in sick in my life. There certainly are genuine reasons to call in and if I were sick enough I would do it, I've just been lucky enough to never have to call in.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I had sick leave when I dislocated my elbow, and I was only gone for 3 days. I hardly call in sick. When I was drinking sometimes I would call in because I was too tired to come in or I would oversleep. So far this year I have only used 4 sick days.

Iceman

Registered Member
When I was drinking sometimes I would call in because I was too tired to come in or I would oversleep.
As a manager, I would be ticked if one of my guys called in sick for a reason like that.
I think people should either drink responsibly or not at all. I'd prefer the latter.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
As a manager, I would be ticked if one of my guys called in sick for a reason like that.
I think people should either drink responsibly or not at all. I'd prefer the latter.
I don't drink anymore so I don't have to worry about that anymore. I have a question for you. When an employee calls in sick, and they say that they are running a temperature and don't have a doctor's note to prove it, would you take the employees word for it? They could of been drinking all night long. The reason why I ask this is because I never told my boss that I had a hangover, I just said I wasn't feeling good and if things don't look better tommorow I will go see a doctor. How do you approach situations like that at work especially if you know the truth?

Last edited:

SuiGeneris

blue 3
I don't drink anymore so I don't have to worry about that anymore. I have a question for you. When an employee calls in sick, and they say that they are running a temperature and don't have a doctor's note to prove it, would you take the employees word for it? They could of been drinking all night long. The reason why I ask this is because I never told my boss that I had a hangover, I just said I wasn't feeling good and if things don't look better tommorow I will go see a doctor. How do you approach situations like that at work especially if you know the truth?
My store is pretty loose lipped about everything, so I normally hear whether or not an employee of mine was out last night "acting a fool" or not. Normally, if it's a first time I let it go. I'll talk to them, let them know I'm aware of the reason why they are calling in, tell them it's not an acceptable reason, but I'd "let it go" this time.

In addition, if employees continually call in, you tend to start doubting everything the employee needs. At this point I typically ask for a doctor's note, if it's not provided, you can file it as an unexcused absence (while it's not a No Call No Show) it is something that can result in a "write up," "suspension" or even termination depending on the history of the employee and the circumstance.

I'm very direct about these kind of things. Our store staffs based on a percentage of transactions per "labor hour." So if someone calls in sick it really hurts your shift if you can't get it covered. I've noticed a lot of people think they are a lot more sneaky that they actually are.

dDave

V.I.P.
I probably take 3 sick days a year.

I work and go to school a ton. I also stay up way too late. Eventually things catch up with me and I have to take a day off to recuperate.

I usually get run down to the point where I know that going in to work would cause me to get really sick. Rarely do I get really sick though 2 years ago I took a month off of life because I got a really bad respiratory infection.

Iceman

Registered Member
Sui makes some good points. It seems like one way or another I find out if people are skipping out on work due to hangovers. I have not yet asked for a doctor's note but I should start doing more stuff like that. The people under me seem to take advantage of my "easy going-ness". Last week I got a text from an employee and it read, "Not coming in today." No explanation or anything. I was shocked but have not yet approached her about it.

I need to start bringing the hammer down and quit being Mr. Nice Guy.