How much sleep do you need?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngelsPeak, Mar 28, 2008.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Just what the title says, how much sleep do you need to function normally throughout the day?
    It's been a while since I've seen a solid 8 hours of sleep. I usually get between 3-4 hours a night, but last night I went to bed about 1:45ish and was wide awake at 4 A.M. which tells me my body has gotten use to a lack of sleep. Probably not a good thing, but I don't feel tired at all, and I know I'll be up until the wee hours again tonight.

How much do you need not to be a walking zombie?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I need 7-8 hours minimum.

And you're right, your lack of sleep is not a good thing. My sister was keeping a schedule like yours (she's the same age as you & me, we're twins), and she wound up in the ER with an erratic heart beat. They told her it's being caused by sleep deprivation. Another thing going on with her because of sleep deprivation is gastritis - apparently your stomach acid production shuts down while you sleep, but if you don't get enough sleep, it doesn't shut down, so you have excess acid in your stomach and all the lovely things that brings - heartburn, always feeling hungry, and eventually ulcers.

3. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

I much prefer 9 hours of sleep and am much happier when I get that, but it hasn't happened in a very long time. If I can get 6-7 hours I do ok.

4. juha82

juha82 Registered Member

6-8 hour is enough to me.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I usually like to get 8-10 hours, but I've been sleeping a lot less this week. Only got 6 hours last night. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on lost sleep this weekend.

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I need at least eight hours, minimum.... I just woke up from having eleven hours. ^^

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

usually anywhere from 5-7. I dont mind waking up early and I certainly dont mind sleeping in.

8. patkick

patkick #21

I need about 7-8 hours to get through the day without tiredness or headaches. However I did do some of my final exams with only 4-5 hours of sleep and did pretty well but after the exams I was pretty much beat and took a nap afterwards.

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

If I go to sleep and I have no intention of getting up the next day (no alarma set) I usually wont wake up until 10-11 hrs later.

I use to try to function on 5 or 6 when I was part-time and working every other day so I would catch up on sleep the next day (like 12 or 13 hrs I would sleep).

Now however, I need probably 6.5-8 hrs to function well the next day. Usually i try to get 7.5 or 7.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Shitty day: 4-6 hours
    Good day: 6-8
    Great day: 8+