How much of Earth belongs to humans

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by icegoat63, Oct 4, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Simple debate.

This sorta came up in the Global Warming thread and I have to say its an interesting debate. The comment was made that Humans have made enough impact on Earth via Urban Sprawl and expansion of the Concrete jungles on the Continents that it can be seen from Outer Space.

Question is, how much of Earth is ours (humans) to improve or develop?

Wade8813 likes this.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

None. I think it's incorrect to say that the Earth belongs to any species at all.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

As much as we can conquer.

Animals claim territory all the time, why is it wrong for us to claim land since we are, after all, animals?

4. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

All. If one argues that we are the culmination of a million years' evolution, one also argues that we have no responsibility to be responsible, being the animals that we are.

:D

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

It does not really matter how much, we will do it anyway, regardless if it is ours or not.

Living and having traveled Europe extensively there is hardly a square mile of this continent that has not been impacted by man some how. Even the bits we call nature are often fake representations.

6. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Somehow I had an idea I'd get sniped on that one......

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Exactly. If animals want it back they are free to try. There is nothing wrong with humans filling up the earth and doing what they want with it. 100% of it even.

Even Darwin would agree. Survival of the fittest, right?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  8. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

In essence, every square km. In practice we have to keep ourselves in check, because it's not in our benefit to completely destroy wildlife. I think in the near future the whole planet will be run as a zoo. Special territories have to be reserved for animals and plants to occupy and to an increasing extent humans will be in control over which animals reside where and in what numbers.
    In other words, even wildlife itself will be cultivated. In that respect, the whole of earth will be our domain.

9. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

"The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth"

-Chief Seattle

I believe this.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

There is plenty wrong with us filling up the earth and doing what we want with it, that could very well be self-destruction as a species. As a human I find that idea preposterous.

That was Spencer not Darwin! But I disagree with your comment anyway as there is no excuse for recklessness who ever may agree with it. Survival of the fittest does not equate to do as we see fit!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009